The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Non player unsportsmanlike (https://forum.officiating.com/football/95944-non-player-unsportsmanlike.html)

surehands Tue Aug 27, 2013 08:59am

Non player unsportsmanlike

First half 2 assistant coaches are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. 4th quarter 2 other assistants are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. What happens to the head coach at that point in High School Football

IAUMP Tue Aug 27, 2013 09:40am

Abolutely nothing, other than his blood pressure going sky high.

JRutledge Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41am

This is not like basketball. We do not indirectly penalize the HC for things people on the bench does other then penalizing the team yards if the yardage is accepted of course.

Peace

CT1 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 903617)
This is not like basketball. We do not indirectly penalize the HC for things people on the bench does other then penalizing the team yards if the yardage is accepted of course.

Unintentional contact between a nonplayer and a game official in
the restricted area while the ball is live:

PENALTY: For the first offense, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. For the second offense - 15 yards from the succeeding spot and disqualification of the head coach.

Welpe Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by surehands (Post 903598)
First half 2 assistant coaches are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. 4th quarter 2 other assistants are flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. What happens to the head coach at that point in High School Football

I have a good feeling by the time it gets to that point the head coach will have earned at least one himself.

JRutledge Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 903626)
Unintentional contact between a nonplayer and a game official in
the restricted area while the ball is live:

PENALTY: For the first offense, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. For the second offense - 15 yards from the succeeding spot and disqualification of the head coach.

OK, and your point is what? This is a very specific rule to cover a very specific situation (and relatively new and only at the NF level). We still do not attribute non-player penalties to head coaches like we do in basketball. For those that do not do basketball, all Ts to bench personnel are attributed to the head coach for their disqualification possibility which is usually categorized into direct and indirect technical fouls. This is not the case in football for unsporting fouls (which are mostly how non-players can be called for a foul) except for this specific rule. And this is also the only rule where a personal foul can result in disqualification based on the number of personal fouls called. Not the typical situation to disqualify a coach.

Peace

BktBallRef Tue Aug 27, 2013 08:52pm

I believe he is just providing the rule for the one situation where the head coach would be disqualified. And obviously, he's correct. The OP doesn't say why the asst. coaches got the USC flags.

JRutledge Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 903668)
I believe he is just providing the rule for the one situation where the head coach would be disqualified. And obviously, he's correct. The OP doesn't say why the asst. coaches got the USC flags.

He is correct with the very specific rule referenced, but still not like basketball as was my point. And unless I am totally off base, that is not an uncommon question by people that know something about basketball rules. It is a common question I get asked in our football class as usually a basketball official tries to make it a football rule. I am usually asked this question once a year to attribute penalties to bench people in football to the HC. And the OPer did not specify he was talking about a PF or an USC foul.

Peace

HLin NC Wed Aug 28, 2013 07:03am

Quote:

I get asked in our football class as usually a basketball official tries to make it a football rule.
I know some FB officials that try to make it a football rule too:(

In the OP, however, it should be obvious, if this is a real world scenario, that if two assistants were dinged in the 1st half and the HC remained on site then two more in the 2nd half shouldn't matter. Now if that HC commits mass murder on his staff, there may be some employment action coming.

There is the Unintentional contact on the side line provision and of course, the Players Being Legally Equipped provision that is applied to the HC if violated.

Adam Wed Aug 28, 2013 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 903678)
He is correct with the very specific rule referenced, but still not like basketball as was my point. And unless I am totally off base, that is not an uncommon question by people that know something about basketball rules. It is a common question I get asked in our football class as usually a basketball official tries to make it a football rule. I am usually asked this question once a year to attribute penalties to bench people in football to the HC. And the OPer did not specify he was talking about a PF or an USC foul.

Peace

I know it was my question when I first started football. Not because I was trying to do anything: other than simply understand. It was just my frame of reference, so I wanted to know if the same process applied to football. It's not unlike wondering if two USCs against a player lead to DQ.