The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Help to Identify Unusual Plays Likely to Happen

Good Morning Forum,
I'm looking to put a presentation together for later this summer regarding unusual or unique football plays/rules that could occur in a youth or high school game, under the NFHS Rules Code. The goal of the presentation would be for our football officials association to discuss the ins and outs of the situations in preparing for the field.

The idea would be to identify some plays that might happen, not those that you'll never see but once in a lifetime, but those that might happen. We had the following play happen three times last year alone, yet it is still pretty unusual.

An example of what I'm thinking about would be: 1] scrimmage kick, goes straight up, never crosses expanded neutral zone, what can happen? Who can recover the scrimmage kick? what can the recovering team do with it?

So I'm looking for help in identifying those types of plays and the associated enforcements.

Unusual penalty enforcements too, again, not the once in a lifetime cases, but those that can and do happen frequently but might catch the crew by surprise.

Thanks for the help.
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 11:19am
Chain of Fools

TE covered up, goes downfield, catches pass, scores apparent touchdown. (had it happen in a MS game fairly early in my career) Coach could only repeat the argument "but he was my tight end". Back then it was OPI, 15 yards AND LOD. It's no longer OPI but Illegal Touching. 5 yard penalty, LOD.

Last edited by HLin NC; Sat May 11, 2013 at 11:23am.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Blocked punts recovered by the kicker and advanced. One scenario with the ball crossing the neutral zone and one without.

Momentum exception

PSK enforcements with double fouls
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 10:30am
Judge of Lines

My suggestions:

1) Blocked FGs recovered behind the neutral zone and advanced by the kicking team and FG attempts which do not cross the goal line (although seemingly simple these can catch guys off guard very easily).

2) Free kick following an awarded fair catch, especially given the new 15 yard option on KCI.

3) Double fouls on scrimmage kicks where R got ball with clean hands but may still opt to accept K's foul and replay down if they did not get a favorable return.

4) Fouls by B in their end zone after an interception (often misapplied).
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Fumbles in a pile - don't blow the whistle until you see a ball. Happens every year in youth ball - pile of kids, referee finally blows the whistle, and oops! Look, Little Johnny has the ball way over there, 20 yards away on a breakaway.

That and this:

Run up the middle is stopped, RB goes down. Whistle and charge in and OOPS! QB still has the ball, or WR is coming your way with it.

NO BALL, NO WHISTLE. Especially for rookie officials.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

These are good, please keep them coming

These are good. Please keep them coming.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 08:57am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
TE covered up, goes downfield, catches pass, scores apparent touchdown. (had it happen in a MS game fairly early in my career) Coach could only repeat the argument "but he was my tight end". Back then it was OPI, 15 yards AND LOD. It's no longer OPI but Illegal Touching. 5 yard penalty, LOD.
We're seeing this more with not only TEs, but also other receivers being covered. With multiple receiver sets and more passing plays, it's not unusual for teams to substitute receivers frequently, and sometimes the sub doesn't know (or remember) whether he's supposed to be off or on.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

scrimmage kick punted, blocked prior to going past the neutral zone picked up by the kicker and punted again behind the line of scrimmage.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Two forward passes. One where the first pass is deflected back to the QB and he throws it again. The other just a garden variety double pass.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Good One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backjudge79 View Post
Two forward passes. One where the first pass is deflected back to the QB and he throws it again. The other just a garden variety double pass.
How about QB runs beyond Line of Scrimmage (LOS) then retreats back behind LOS and throws forward pass?