The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The Vote is in. NFL Rule Changes - For or Against?

NFL owners end tuck rule, approve helmet penalty - ESPN
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I have no opinion on the tuck rule.

Regarding the RB rule - this seems like more of a POE to me. It was ALWAYS illegal to spear someone, even if you carried the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:54am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Regarding the RB rule - this seems like more of a POE to me. It was ALWAYS illegal to spear someone, even if you carried the ball.
+1

For the whiny ones, if/when the NFL loses the head injury lawsuit, they'll wish it had been enforced for the past 50 years.

In the words of GSgt Tom Highway- "improvise, adapt, overcome".
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I have no opinion on the tuck rule.

Don't quote me, but the NFL defined spearing as something different than we are all used to. Apparently the player being hit with the crown of the helmet needed to be on the ground for it to be spearing in the NFL.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:54am
Official & ***** Member

I like the elimination of the "tuck" rule. If those overpaid prima donnas can't hold on to the ball after changing their mind, they deserve a turnover.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Adapt, Overcome, Improvise.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
+1

For the whiny ones, if/when the NFL loses the head injury lawsuit, they'll wish it had been enforced for the past 50 years.

In the words of GSgt Tom Highway- "improvise, adapt, overcome".
Gotta love Highway!

Highway: "Alright, Colitis, Cahones, Profilatics, Ajax. You boys are handsome. You ladies look like models. In fact I want your hair high and tight by tomorrow morning. When you start looking like Marines you'll start feeling like Marines and then, G_ddamn it, you'll start acting like Marines. Platoon, ten-hut! Right face! Forward march!"
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:43pm
Chain of Fools

One of my all time faves, grunewar. Lot of good dialogue in that one, just can't repeat most of it in polite society.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
Don't quote me, but the NFL defined spearing as something different than we are all used to. Apparently the player being hit with the crown of the helmet needed to be on the ground for it to be spearing in the NFL.
There's no mention of that with regard to spearing in the NFL rule book.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
That's approximately the Fed & NCAA provision too; it's just that Fed & NCAA include other cases where the ball is dead. What this change does is include the runner in NFL's version of butt blocking.

As to the tuck rule, it sure makes sense to get rid of that. What NFL had been saying by their previous provision is that once it appears a player has started a ball motion intended to be a forward pass, it's a forward pass if the ball comes loose and goes in any direction even if the runner no longer intended it to be a pass of any kind. It being impossible to tell if a pump fake was intended, or the player changed his mind on a forward pass, it meant that anyone who was pump faking forward and had the ball come out was deemed to have made a forward pass unless he started another forward pumping action or otherwise held the ball up as for a pass. Without the tuck rule, you need only look at the direction the ball is taking from when the motion started, rather than ruling on whether a forward pass was originally intended.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
There's no mention of that with regard to spearing in the NFL rule book.
I went and looked after I posted that. I heard it on Sirus NFL radio, but thought it might be wrong.