The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:12pm
NFHS Official

How Long?

NFL owners have approved the 15 yard penalty for any player who lowers head and initiates contact with the crown of the helmet. Essentially the helmet rule for running backs. How long before we see this in the NFHS rules?
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
NFL owners have approved the 15 yard penalty for any player who lowers head and initiates contact with the crown of the helmet. Essentially the helmet rule for running backs. How long before we see this in the NFHS rules?
Isn't it already there with the prohibitions against butt blocking?

9.4.3 COMMENT: Face tackling, butt blocking and spearing are somewhat related fouls. All are illegal and each carries a 15-yard penalty. Butt blocking is initiating contact with front of the helmet against an opponent who is not the runner. It may be committed by either offensive or defensive players. Face tackling is the same act against the runner and can only be a defensive technique. Both fouls may result from inadvertent acts. Spearing is initiating contact against an opponent with the top of the helmet and may be committed either by offensive or defensive players. Any tactic which involves the illegal use of the helmet is condemned by all who are concerned with the well-being of players and the perpetuation of the game. (2-20-1c)
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Already there in Iowa

In Iowa we have been instructed several times over the last decade that the illegal helmet penalty applies equally to the offensive and defensive players.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Negative 4 years, I think.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:16pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Isn't it already there with the prohibitions against butt blocking?

9.4.3 COMMENT: Face tackling, butt blocking and spearing are somewhat related fouls. All are illegal and each carries a 15-yard penalty. Butt blocking is initiating contact with front of the helmet against an opponent who is not the runner. It may be committed by either offensive or defensive players. Face tackling is the same act against the runner and can only be a defensive technique. Both fouls may result from inadvertent acts. Spearing is initiating contact against an opponent with the top of the helmet and may be committed either by offensive or defensive players. Any tactic which involves the illegal use of the helmet is condemned by all who are concerned with the well-being of players and the perpetuation of the game. (2-20-1c)
Butt Blocking deals with the front of the helmet. Doesn't say anything about the crown. How many of you have ever flagged a running back when they lower their head to take on the hit, and hit the tackler with the crown of their helmet? I have never done it.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:40pm
TODO: creative title here

In a game this year... Runner was getting tackled near his sideline, and one of the runner's teammates came in, head lowered, and speared his own ballcarrier right in the side of the helmet right in front of my H. Ball carrier was knocked out cold, and we had about a 15-minute injury stoppage.

I was told by an AC later that it was the kid's 3rd concussion in a 12-month span (the previous two had come in the prior basketball season).

No flag was thrown because, by rule, you cannot commit a spearing foul on your teammate. ("Spearing is initiating contact against AN OPPONENT with the top of the helmet....")

Methinks the rules committee should change the wording to "against another player"
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Butt Blocking deals with the front of the helmet. Doesn't say anything about the crown. How many of you have ever flagged a running back when they lower their head to take on the hit, and hit the tackler with the crown of their helmet? I have never done it.
My crew has done this in each of the last 3 seasons. We flagged one all-state player twice for it and his coach almost picked one up as well arguing it.

Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is a foul, though.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:10pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My crew has done this in each of the last 3 seasons. We flagged one all-state player twice for it and his coach almost picked one up as well arguing it.

Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is a foul, though.
I understand that some helmet to helmet to contact is going to happen. What about the stiff arm from a RB that grabs the facemask and pushes head back. Ever called that? I did. Called a face mask. RB just grabbed the facemask and pushed players head back as far as it would go.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
What about the stiff arm from a RB that grabs the facemask and pushes head back. Ever called that? I did. Called a face mask. RB just grabbed the facemask and pushed players head back as far as it would go.
It's not a foul for the runner to push the facemask of an opponent, it is a foul to grab the facemask. I have called the latter before (though it was the Personal Foul variety, not the 5 yard variety).
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:16pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
I understand that some helmet to helmet to contact is going to happen. What about the stiff arm from a RB that grabs the facemask and pushes head back. Ever called that? I did. Called a face mask. RB just grabbed the facemask and pushed players head back as far as it would go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's not a foul for the runner to push the facemask of an opponent, it is a foul to grab the facemask. I have called the latter before (though it was the Personal Foul variety, not the 5 yard variety).
Please read whole statement. I called the 15 yarder.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Please read whole statement.
I did. I did not say you made a bad call.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:58pm
Chain of Fools

Already is... see definition of spearing in 2-20-1(c). Also Case book play 9.4.3d

Just never called, even though Illegal Helmet contact is, has been, and probably will be for the forseeable future, a point of emphasis. I imagine the Fed just needs to add the act by a running back in their POE examples.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Already is... see definition of spearing in 2-20-1(c). Also Case book play 9.4.3d

Just never called, even though Illegal Helmet contact is, has been, and probably will be for the forseeable future, a point of emphasis. I imagine the Fed just needs to add the act by a running back in their POE examples.
I was just about to post this. I can imagine the POE being added. It is something that is always stressed during our rules meetings each year, a runner can be guilty of spearing.

Last edited by bcl1127; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 03:04pm.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:02pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
I was just about to post this. I can imagine the POE being added. It is something that is always stressed during out rules meetings each year, a runner can be guilty of spearing.
Fair enough. Maybe this is the answer I am seeking.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post

I had someone point out spearing by an offensive player (especially the running back) was a POE in 2011. I don't remember that so I'm sure we overlooked it. With all the emphasis now I think it would get more attention this year. I hope they include it so the coaches get the message and we start to enforce it.