The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional Safety Gone Wrong

A twist on Sunday's events. 4th and 10 at A's 5yl. A99 lines up to punt. A99 instead takes the snap and runs around to waste time with the goal to take a safety. B50, recognizing the plan, reaches A99 before goes down. B50 grabs A99 and carries him out of the endzone before tackling him on the A2 yl.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
A twist on Sunday's events. 4th and 10 at A's 5yl. A99 lines up to punt. A99 instead takes the snap and runs around to waste time with the goal to take a safety. B50, recognizing the plan, reaches A99 before goes down. B50 grabs A99 and carries him out of the endzone before tackling him on the A2 yl.
There is SO MUCH that could have gone wrong that would have been avoided by simply punting. This is only one of them.

Personally, I was hoping for a "serves them right" moment - like, punt is high and not as deep as it went, and is fair caught at the 40. Harbaugh then kicks the free kick and we go to overtime.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would just instruct my team that that if anyone comes close to the punter, to tackle them (and if I recall correctly, there was a blatant hold that occurred on the play). I'd also make sure to tell them to make sure any penalty is not a personal foul as it would carry over and if the circumstances are right, extend the game with an untimed free kick down.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That used to be practically impossible while there was verbal declaration of "down" by the runner, but it seems all the American codes have by now deleted that one. I know NCAA was first, don't know when NFL did that but I think Fed preceded them. Do either of the Canadian codes still have it?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
.... (and if I recall correctly, there was a blatant hold that occurred on the play).
I heard Brian Bielik say that it was okay that holding wasn't called because the 49ers would have declined the penalty anyway.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith