The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 24, 2000, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lee Jones
Question

I heard about this play the other day....Team A, down by 7 points late in the 4th period, has one time out remaining. They run the ball on second down, and then request a time out. The side official thought they were out of time outs, and would not allow it. Team A then spikes the ball to stop the clock on third down (54 seconds remaining). At this point Team B calls time out. The officials came together and the side official was told that Team A had one time out left. The back judge told the referee that there was 1:09 on the clock when the T.O. request was made. The referee, using the "definite knowledge" clause, resets the clock to 1:09, and then erases the 3rd down spike play. His rationale was that the only reason that Team A spiked the ball was to stop the clock, which they should have been able to do using the time out that they still had.

Comments???
Old Sun Sep 24, 2000, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

sounds rigut to me
Old Sun Sep 24, 2000, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I don't believe this qualifies as a timing error. Yes, the official who refused to grant the time out erred but there wasn't a timing error. There isn't anything in the rulebook that would allow the referee to scratch a play and say let's pretend this never happened. About all you can really do is say, "Coach, we screwed up."