The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone explain (sorry, very basic question)

Just a fan, not a coach, parent (of a football player), or official.

Offense breaks huddle and goes to the line. They look like they're set, then, almost as 1, multiple players (sometimes linemen?), stand up and look to the sideline to see if the coach wants to audible. How is this not a false start?

Also, watching Sugar Bowl last night... Louisville on offense, breaks huddle, gets to the line, appears to be set, then multiple players would shift, everyone sets again, and they hike. How is this not a false start or too many in motion?

I'm sure my understanding of the rule is not right, but hoping someone can set me straight.

thanks
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post

Offense breaks huddle and goes to the line. They look like they're set, then, almost as 1, multiple players (sometimes linemen?), stand up and look to the sideline to see if the coach wants to audible. How is this not a false start?

Also, watching Sugar Bowl last night... Louisville on offense, breaks huddle, gets to the line, appears to be set, then multiple players would shift, everyone sets again, and they hike. How is this not a false start or too many in motion?

I'm sure my understanding of the rule is not right, but hoping someone can set me straight.

thanks
It is only a false start when the simulate the snap. Players can shift, motion and do all kinds of things even if they are interior lineman before the snap. And it is reasonable when audibles are made to allow the players to hear the call or the change. Only when the lineman put their hand down in the "dirt" are they really restricted from moving off the ground with their hand. Nothing in the rule says they must be totally still or considered in motion if they move their head or if they move a hand. If that is the case then the center would never be able to make signals which they do often when players come to the line for a possible blitz.

Not sure I answered you question totally, but it is a myth that everyone must be totally still. Just like we see the QB move around and make signals to get the snap.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

thanks
CANADIAN RULING:

Illegal if any lineman is already in a 3- or 4-point stance. Illegal snapdown if they're not in an attempt to draw the defense offside. Legal otherwise.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7 Section 2 ART. 6 . . . After a huddle or shift all 11 players of A shall come to an absolute
stop and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands,
feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.

Myth or Rule?

doesn't matter I guess!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Rule 7 Section 2 ART. 6 . . . After a huddle or shift all 11 players of A shall come to an absolute

Myth or Rule?

doesn't matter I guess!
Nope!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Myth or Rule?

doesn't matter I guess!
What does that have to do with pre-snap shifting?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Myth or Rule?

doesn't matter I guess!
It only matters if an official deems that the rule was violated.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is only a false start when the simulate the snap. Players can shift, motion and do all kinds of things even if they are interior lineman before the snap. And it is reasonable when audibles are made to allow the players to hear the call or the change. Only when the lineman put their hand down in the "dirt" are they really restricted from moving off the ground with their hand. Nothing in the rule says they must be totally still or considered in motion if they move their head or if they move a hand. If that is the case then the center would never be able to make signals which they do often when players come to the line for a possible blitz.

Not sure I answered you question totally, but it is a myth that everyone must be totally still. Just like we see the QB move around and make signals to get the snap.

Peace
Thanks for the answer. I guess what throws me off is when you see (generally) a lineman "flinch", and the flag is thrown.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

If they all are bouncing around and then they don't all pause for 1 full second it should be called but seldom is.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If they all are bouncing around and then they don't all pause for 1 full second it should be called but seldom is.
Not even the rule he was referencing or asking about. And the rule does not suggest and interpretations does not state that they must be completely still. The rule is violated when they simulated the snap.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:51pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. I guess what throws me off is when you see (generally) a lineman "flinch", and the flag is thrown.
That's a foul for false start because the lineman has simulated the snap. Teams that look to the sideline for the play have to be careful not to jerk up in their shifting, or they risk being flagged for FS.

The shifting you saw Louisville do involved backs (including receivers lined up off the line of scrimmage) and ends only. But by rule all 11 on offense are permitted to shift, and to do so as often as they wish within the limits of the play clock.

Before snapping the ball (or 1 player legally going in motion just before the snap), all 11 must be perfectly still for 1 second.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:36pm
Chain of Fools

Haven't we had this argument before this fall?

Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
That's a foul for false start because the lineman has simulated the snap. Teams that look to the sideline for the play have to be careful not to jerk up in their shifting, or they risk being flagged for FS.

The shifting you saw Louisville do involved backs (including receivers lined up off the line of scrimmage) and ends only. But by rule all 11 on offense are permitted to shift, and to do so as often as they wish within the limits of the play clock.

Before snapping the ball (or 1 player legally going in motion just before the snap), all 11 must be perfectly still for 1 second.
Thank you maven & JRutledge.

To those of you poking fun or griping that "you've already discussed this", I lurk here a lot. I try to increase my knowledge of the rules. How many times have I heard gripes about fans not knowing the rules? Or people don't respect what an official does? So here's a fan, willingly admitting he doesn't know the rules and wants to learn, asking what I thought was a simple question. I'm sorry I so interrupted your day.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thank you maven & JRutledge.

To those of you poking fun or griping that "you've already discussed this", I lurk here a lot. I try to increase my knowledge of the rules. How many times have I heard gripes about fans not knowing the rules? Or people don't respect what an official does? So here's a fan, willingly admitting he doesn't know the rules and wants to learn, asking what I thought was a simple question. I'm sorry I so interrupted your day.
I do not think the comment was directed at you. The comments was directed at a certain coach that likes to stir up trouble every time we discuss rule he has never had to enforce. And yes we did discuss this before this year and many times before. Your question was reasonable and clearly looking for some understanding. All I was trying to do was clarify to the uninformed why this is not called. Some of us do this on a regular basis and others (not talking about you) like to gripe about things they do not have the heart to do themselves.

Thanks for your question.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Myth or Rule?

doesn't matter I guess!
As usual ... a rule that doesn't apply to the situation posted.

West Houston Mike