The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Blocked FG

Just a fan here. Was confused about a blocked field goal in the Bama/Miss State game Saturday. Bama blocked an MSU field goal. The line of scrimmage was the 14. When blocked, the ball rolled to a stop around the 5 yard line where an MSU player fell on it. Since it din't make the end zone, I expected it to be marked back at the line of scrimmage (the 14), but Ken Williamson's crew put it at the 20. What did I miss?

Thanks in advance
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Just a fan here. Was confused about a blocked field goal in the Bama/Miss State game Saturday. Bama blocked an MSU field goal. The line of scrimmage was the 14. When blocked, the ball rolled to a stop around the 5 yard line where an MSU player fell on it. Since it din't make the end zone, I expected it to be marked back at the line of scrimmage (the 14), but Ken Williamson's crew put it at the 20. What did I miss?

Thanks in advance
Since the previous spot was between the GL and the 20, the ball is placed at the 20.

Rule 8-4-2-b-1 (Emphasis Added)

ARTICLE 2.

a. Successful field goal. After a field goal is scored, the ball shall be put in play by a kickoff or at the succeeding spot in extra periods. The team scoring the field goal shall kick off.

b. Unsuccessful field-goal attempt.

1. When the ball is declared dead beyond the neutral zone and is untouched by Team B beyond the neutral zone, it belongs to Team B. Except in an extra period Team B will snap the ball at the previous spot unless the previous spot was between its 20-yard line and the goal line. In that case Team B will next snap the ball at its 20-yard line. The 20-yard-line snap shall be from midway between the hash marks unless Team B selects a different location on or between the hash marks before the ready-for-play signal. After the ready-for-play signal, the ball may be relocated after a charged team timeout, unless preceded by a Team A foul or offsetting fouls.

2. If the ball does not cross the neutral zone or if Team B touches the ball beyond the neutral zone, all rules pertaining to scrimmage kicks apply (A.R. 6.3.4-II, A.R. 8.4.2-I-VI and A.R. 10.2.3-V).
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I was thinking of this as being a touchback and knew it could not be since the ball didn't make the end zone.