The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Kickoff Options

I was of the mind (not a football official though) that a team could punt a ball on a kickoff. It came up in regards to a strategy debate I was reading. A coach said that you can only punt after a safety.

Educate me please as to what options you have for kicking the ball in a high school game .

Thanks
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Place kick or drop kick only on a kickoff after a TD or FG.

After a safety, you can also punt.

If punting was an option, most all teams would probably punt as most punts are as long or longer than place kicks.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 02:17pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Educate me please as to what options you have for kicking the ball in a high school game .
The rule is the same at all levels: a free kick must be a place kick or drop kick, as BBR states. A special exception is made for free kicks after a safety, where a punt is an additional option.

The rationale for the exception is surely the fact that a free kick following a safety is made from the 20 rather than the usual free kick spot. Free kicks following safeties are thus exceptional in 2 ways.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
The rule is the same at all levels: a free kick must be a place kick or drop kick, as BBR states. A special exception is made for free kicks after a safety, where a punt is an additional option.

The rationale for the exception is surely the fact that a free kick following a safety is made from the 20 rather than the usual free kick spot.
No, that's not the rationale. Originally in American football it was from behind the 25 and had to be a drop kick. Before that in rugby, it was from behind the goal line and had to be a punt. But later for a long time in the various American codes, it was not allowed to be a punt.

There really was never a rationale. These were completely arbitrary distinctions. There was a movement during approximately the 2nd half of the 20th Century to conform all the free kick rules to each other; previously the kickoff hadn't even been called a free kick. That movement receded and the rules partly diverged from each other again.