The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

NFHS question

In a game Friday night, the R had roughing the passer on Team B, but the pass was tipped behind the line (screen pass) also by Team B. Team B wanted the roughing taken away because the ball was tipped. The R made the initial call, talked to the Team B coach, was going to wave it off then decided to still enforce it. looked like a clown show. My question is does a tipped ball cancel out roughing the passer?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

No.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLJ View Post
In a game Friday night, the R had roughing the passer on Team B, but the pass was tipped behind the line (screen pass) also by Team B. Team B wanted the roughing taken away because the ball was tipped. The R made the initial call, talked to the Team B coach, was going to wave it off then decided to still enforce it. looked like a clown show. My question is does a tipped ball cancel out roughing the passer?
Does the pass being tipped make the passer no longer a passer? No. He's still a passer (as long has he's behind the neutral zone). Sounds like Team B is confusing the fact that a tipped pass affects PI and not RTP.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

The kicker is one official (Who is also a WH but was head linesman this game) was trying to tell the WH that he threw the ball so he no longer is a passer. I was amazed that he said that.

And I agree Radio, this wasn't PI, it was roughing.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:53am
Chain of Fools

Rule: 2-32-11
A passer is a player who throws a legal forward pass. He continues to be a passer until the legal forward pass ends or until he moves to participate in the play.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:07am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Rule: 2-32-11
A passer is a player who throws a legal forward pass. He continues to be a passer until the legal forward pass ends or until he moves to participate in the play.
Well that explains how Jason's H came to the conclusion he did: he misinterpreted this definition as saying that the passer is such until the passing ends.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Well that explains how Jason's H came to the conclusion he did: he misinterpreted this definition as saying that the passer is such until the passing ends.
I still had it as roughing, same as the WH. It was when the other official came in and said that the ball was tipped so roughing is no longer in question is when any doubt crept in. I was sure we enforced it correctly, just wanted some feedback.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:08am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLJ View Post
I still had it as roughing, same as the WH. It was when the other official came in and said that the ball was tipped so roughing is no longer in question is when any doubt crept in. I was sure we enforced it correctly, just wanted some feedback.
That's fine, and I'm glad to know you handled it correctly.

I was simply commenting on this other official: when telling someone he's wrong, I always try to start with a win for him. For instance: "You know, Bob, you're right: when B tips the ball, you can't have PI. But I don't think that provision applies to RTP. The passer is still protected."

I was thinking something similar about his concern that the passer was no longer a passer after the ball was released. "Bob, you're right, he does cease to be a passer at some point, but I think he has until the pass ends."
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was simply commenting on this other official: when telling someone he's wrong, I always try to start with a win for him. For instance: "You know, Bob, you're right: when B tips the ball, you can't have PI. But I don't think that provision applies to RTP. The passer is still protected."

I was thinking something similar about his concern that the passer was no longer a passer after the ball was released. "Bob, you're right, he does cease to be a passer at some point, but I think he has until the pass ends."
Good idea. Thanks.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Maybe he was thinking the pass ends when the ball is tipped?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Maybe he was thinking the pass ends when the ball is tipped?
That is what I was thinking. That is going to be a longer discussion to change that thinking in that moment.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Was this a Coach-Referee conference?
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Was this a Coach-Referee conference?
It was.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 01:31pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is what I was thinking. That is going to be a longer discussion to change that thinking in that moment.

Peace
Not much longer: "It is still a forward pass until it is caught or becomes dead by rule."
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not much longer: "It is still a forward pass until it is caught or becomes dead by rule."
That is if they accept that comment. There are people all the time that insist on things being in a definition and clearly are wrong. So I agree in a perfect world it should click in their mind that is true, but some people are not aware of some basic definitions they will argue points they cannot prove without a rulebook present. And unless you are in Ohio that is not going to happen.

Peace