The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

triple foul question

Defense was offside, offense commits holding, defense commits pass interference. Two penalties against the defense, one against the offense. Does this still offset?

Another question, offense commits holding, throws an interception, defense returns the ball, illegal block in the back on the return, defense fumbles the ball, offense recovers the fumble, starts to advance it and commits another holding foul. What's the ruling here?
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 09:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
Defense was offside, offense commits holding, defense commits pass interference. Two penalties against the defense, one against the offense. Does this still offset?
Yes they do. Live ball fouls by both teams without a change of possession will offset.

Quote:
Another question, offense commits holding, throws an interception, defense returns the ball, illegal block in the back on the return, defense fumbles the ball, offense recovers the fumble, starts to advance it and commits another holding foul. What's the ruling here?
The fouls will offset and the down will be replayed.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
offense commits holding, throws an interception, defense returns the ball, illegal block in the back on the return
If you stopped right here, the Defense, as you put it, would have the option to decline the holding penalty and have their penalty enforced and keep the ball. However, the exception only exists for the team last gaining possession, and they must be "clean" prior to gaining possession.

The only other thing to remember is that any penalty may be declined. There are a few very narrow situations where fouls by both team have penalties that are declined and the result of the play stands. These are basically once a decade situations for officials but they have happened.

Note also that the NFL has different rules than Fed and NCAA do.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Defense does not have clean hands here. They won't be able to keep the ball unless for some reason the offense declines the "offsides". Replay the down.

In fed, this play was over before it started.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 05:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

All of those are minor fouls, so only one on each team gets enforced.

The DPI is worth more than the offside, so A will decline the defensive offside.

(i) If the DPI was >= 15y downfield, it's a 15 yard foul.
(ii) If the DPI was < 15y downfield, it's a 10 yard foul in a dual foul situation.

Balance the two at PLS, and repeat the down (or 1D if YG). Either (i) up 5 yards, or (ii) at PLS. No AFD for the DPI in a dual.

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

Team A (the team with possession when then play ended) will most definitely decline the B hold so that B doesn't keep the ball. B will most definitely accept a Team A hold that puts A in the most disadvantageous position: loss of 10 from PLS and repeat the down, or 1D/10 @ PBH-10yards of the 2nd hold.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
It's early so I might be confused, but in NFHS, don't we shut down the play when the defense is offsides? None of those other penalties should have happened.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I can not for the life of me find the word offsides in my NFHS rules Books!!!
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

If the defense was offside, we must be playing Canadian football ... therefore, go with JR's ruling.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:35am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
It's early so I might be confused, but in NFHS, don't we shut down the play when the defense is offsides? None of those other penalties should have happened.
You're confused only by the terminology. NFHS rules prohibit encroachment, and the ball is dead when the defense encroaches. Offsides — where a defender enters the NZ and fails to return before the ball is snapped and becomes live — is thus impossible by rule.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I agree to all the 'offsides' comments. I was reading bniu OP as incorrect terminology and stayed with it to avoid a terminology debate.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:52am
Archaic Power Monger

You all are assuming he's not asking about NCAA, NFL or even CFL (ok that's probably a stretch).
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
You all are assuming he's not asking about NCAA, NFL or even CFL (ok that's probably a stretch).
The types of plays he is describing to sound very similar to 5th grade football.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
The types of plays he is describing to sound very similar to 5th grade football.
I agree but around here we play that under NCAA so you never know.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:55am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
I agree to all the 'offsides' comments. I was reading bniu OP as incorrect terminology and stayed with it to avoid a terminology debate.
The OP doesn't specify a ruleset, so we can't assume bniu's terminology is incorrect. He might be talking about NCAA or NFL, which DO have offsides.

But when you specified NFHS and still referred to 'offsides', YOUR terminology was incorrect. Apparently you realized that but went with it anyway?