The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Request for you Referees

Take me through your progression from pre-snap to post snap, as far as mechanics and keys and any other things you might be looking at.

I've just been moved to R recently, and I know what the mechanics manual says. But I know there are nuances obtained through years of experience at any position that aren't in the book. Just looking to tap into some of that knowledge!

For instance, in the first few games I've done, I feel like I'm focusing too much on the passer on passing plays (when he's in the pocket). I feel like I should be paying more attention to line play until the passer is threatened. Things like that.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC View Post
Take me through your progression from pre-snap to post snap, as far as mechanics and keys and any other things you might be looking at.

I've just been moved to R recently, and I know what the mechanics manual says. But I know there are nuances obtained through years of experience at any position that aren't in the book. Just looking to tap into some of that knowledge!

For instance, in the first few games I've done, I feel like I'm focusing too much on the passer on passing plays (when he's in the pocket). I feel like I should be paying more attention to line play until the passer is threatened. Things like that.
Good awareness on your part.

Rather than write a huge post, I'll just add one thing and hopefully we can have a good conversation involving multiple people.

In a 5-man mechanic, when there are multiple receivers to one side, it's important for the crew to recognize that the wing on that side possibly won't be able to pick up much action (other than initial action at the snap) by the tackle. So I always try to get a good look at the tackle (and to a lesser extent, the guard) opposite during passing situations and the umpire is going to help with the tackle on the other side.

Having worked 7-man this season, I now know how unreasonable it is for us to be able to get everything in a 5-man mechanic!
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Good awareness on your part.

Rather than write a huge post, I'll just add one thing and hopefully we can have a good conversation involving multiple people.

In a 5-man mechanic, when there are multiple receivers to one side, it's important for the crew to recognize that the wing on that side possibly won't be able to pick up much action (other than initial action at the snap) by the tackle. So I always try to get a good look at the tackle (and to a lesser extent, the guard) opposite during passing situations and the umpire is going to help with the tackle on the other side.

Having worked 7-man this season, I now know how unreasonable it is for us to be able to get everything in a 5-man mechanic!
Thanks. Lately I've been focusing more on the opposite tackle, but I feel like the near side tackle is not being covered well. I feel like we have missed a few holds by him. Appears to be something we need to talk more about in our pregame.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

You need to discuss every game with your crew or umpire for the day what they are looking at to know what part of the line they might start out focusing the most on. No matter what I will start to focus on the break away players on a pass play that might get through during a breakdown in blocking.

Your role is to still focus mostly on the passer and protect them from illegal hits and to see if they throw the ball under duress during a pass play. That is why I say I will watch for beaten blockers if seen because they are usually going to be the threat to the passer or quarterback when it comes to movement. Remember that other officials also have blocking responsibilities even in 5 man and you will not see everything. It is just a discipline that comes with working and knowing you cannot focus on everything. It is no different than watching a running play but the difference is you have to focus on more than the ball in the backfield and often the blocks around the ball. Then when the ball goes down field you clean up. It takes some getting used to if you were a wing at the beginning as the look will change. Otherwise, you call what you see and see what you call in a 5 man. Seven man you have to be more disciplined but your job as an Referee is to mainly protect the passer/QB and if you see something else like a hold or other illegal blocks, then call those if seen. Actually Referees call probably more holding than Umpires in my experience.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You need to discuss every game with your crew or umpire for the day what they are looking at to know what part of the line they might start out focusing the most on. No matter what I will start to focus on the break away players on a pass play that might get through during a breakdown in blocking.

Your role is to still focus mostly on the passer and protect them from illegal hits and to see if they throw the ball under duress during a pass play. That is why I say I will watch for beaten blockers if seen because they are usually going to be the threat to the passer or quarterback when it comes to movement. Remember that other officials also have blocking responsibilities even in 5 man and you will not see everything. It is just a discipline that comes with working and knowing you cannot focus on everything. It is no different than watching a running play but the difference is you have to focus on more than the ball in the backfield and often the blocks around the ball. Then when the ball goes down field you clean up. It takes some getting used to if you were a wing at the beginning as the look will change. Otherwise, you call what you see and see what you call in a 5 man. Seven man you have to be more disciplined but your job as an Referee is to mainly protect the passer/QB and if you see something else like a hold or other illegal blocks, then call those if seen. Actually Referees call probably more holding than Umpires in my experience.

Peace
Thanks! Yeah I've been a wing for 9 years until this year (about half and half so far this year). There is definitely a huge difference being out there at R. Very strange and unfamiliar feeling being away from the sideline.

Just so many things I've never had to worry about before (kicker/holder, etc.) Gonna take some getting used to!
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 02:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The near side tackle has to be watched by the umpire and the wing on that side of the field. If they don't get a hold from him, nobody will. The umpire should recognize that you're picking up that opposite tackle and not worry at all about him.

Personally, I think it's just familiarity and repetition. I have no problems at all watching the blocking, etc. from the R position, but I've been doing it now for almost a decade. When I work a wing in a subvarsity game, I have to remind myself of my pre-snap/snap progression, just as you are here.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We had a Pac-12 white hat come talk to our association a couple of weeks ago about holding. He made several really helpful points to consider.
1)After checking his tackle for run/pass read, when his read says run he immediately checks where the backs are going. He says the backs will always tell you where the play is going, and that's where he looks for problems first.
2) Offensive linemen who get sideways, i.e. no longer have their butt towards their own goal line are way more likely to hold. They are getting beat. Focus on them.
3) Don't watch double teams, you're generally wasting your time. Look somewhere else.
4) Don't leave trouble to find trouble. If you see an O-lineman in trouble, stick with him especially at the point of attack.
5) O-Lineman getting beat straight on by a bull rush will often pull the defender down on top of them. Watch for that.
6) A hand full of jersey is not enough to warrant a flag. They must do something else, i.e. grab and restrict, grab and jerk, grab and pull down, grab and twist, or grabbing way outside their frame.

That just covers some of the holding issues. Then there's watching for backs cutting linebackers, defenders cutting lead blockers, and on and on.

One thing we do a lot of is have a more experienced white hat come to one of your games and take notes. Then he can give you feedback on things to work on. That is more helpful than anything, and I highly recommend it.

Good luck in your new position.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I start out 15 yards deep and 3 yards outside the near side tight end...if multiple receivers are near side I'll back up 2 steps to get better, bigger picture of the strong side tackle. On passing plays I watch all the penetrating rushers, remembering this mantra:

When youre beat, you cheat.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
We had a Pac-12 white hat come talk to our association a couple of weeks ago about holding. He made several really helpful points to consider.
1)After checking his tackle for run/pass read, when his read says run he immediately checks where the backs are going. He says the backs will always tell you where the play is going, and that's where he looks for problems first.
2) Offensive linemen who get sideways, i.e. no longer have their butt towards their own goal line are way more likely to hold. They are getting beat. Focus on them.
3) Don't watch double teams, you're generally wasting your time. Look somewhere else.
4) Don't leave trouble to find trouble. If you see an O-lineman in trouble, stick with him especially at the point of attack.
5) O-Lineman getting beat straight on by a bull rush will often pull the defender down on top of them. Watch for that.
6) A hand full of jersey is not enough to warrant a flag. They must do something else, i.e. grab and restrict, grab and jerk, grab and pull down, grab and twist, or grabbing way outside their frame.

That just covers some of the holding issues. Then there's watching for backs cutting linebackers, defenders cutting lead blockers, and on and on.

One thing we do a lot of is have a more experienced white hat come to one of your games and take notes. Then he can give you feedback on things to work on. That is more helpful than anything, and I highly recommend it.

Good luck in your new position.
This is very good info. Thanks!
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I start out 15 yards deep and 3 yards outside the near side tight end...if multiple receivers are near side I'll back up 2 steps to get better, bigger picture of the strong side tackle. On passing plays I watch all the penetrating rushers, remembering this mantra:

When youre beat, you cheat.
Thanks. Our supervisor wants us a max of 13 deep and 3 wide. Personally, I feel like I should be deeper or wider sometimes.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Our supervisor wants us a max of 13 deep and 3 wide. Personally, I feel like I should be deeper or wider sometimes.
That's deep enough if you move with the play. If you read pass, and the quarterback is dropping back, you should be backing out to keep out of the way, and still have a good view. So if the quarterback drops back 5 yards, now you're 18 yards back from the LOS.