The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Lazy Umpire

Worked my first game at U yesterday, and found it almost impossible to move to the LOS on pass plays. I think I just need more reps, but are there any mental tricks for a rookie?
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:31am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Worked my first game at U yesterday, and found it almost impossible to move to the LOS on pass plays. I think I just need more reps, but are there any mental tricks for a rookie?
Read your keys.

But it depends a bit on the type of passing game: if the passes are 90% screens and quick hits, you won't get to the LOS, and it's not a problem.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 10:05am
TODO: creative title here

I was the same way when I first started as umpire.

Tricks:
1) read your keys... the center, especially, will tell you almost immediately once you get a feel for it (took me about half a season).
2) don't worry about it too much... you won't always get there, and that's not a problem in most cases (see #3)
3) as part of your pre-snap routine, tell yourself where the LOS is ("3rd and 4 at the 17"... that way, if you don't get to the LOS, you'll still have a point of reference for things like ineligibles downfield and illegal forward pass.

I find it's most important on bootlegs and waggles to get to the LOS, because those are often the plays where a lineman will wander downfield or the QB will be beyond the LOS when he throws the ball. And these types of plays give you plenty of time to get there. For other types of passes, it's not usually an issue.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 10:25am
Archaic Power Monger

Good advice here. One thing I'd caution you on is that while trying to get to the LOS, make sure you're not scraping off a linebacker moving across the middle. I've had that happen a few times and let's just say it's better when it doesn't happen.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Good advice here. One thing I'd caution you on is that while trying to get to the LOS, make sure you're not scraping off a linebacker moving across the middle. I've had that happen a few times and let's just say it's better when it doesn't happen.
Heck, I'd be coaching my TE to get a pick from the U on a shallow cross with play action to freeze the U -- except that with the 3-man crews we have, the U's another linesman.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 11:33am
Archaic Power Monger

That is one reason why upper level umpires moved back to 8-10 yards and why the NFL moved the U to the offensive back field.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:27pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I've had that happen a few times and let's just say it's better when it doesn't happen.
Understatement of the week.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, don't worry about getting all the way to the LOS. If you are at about 2 yards from the line, that's a perfect position. I'm not flagging for ineligibles unless they are at least 2 yards downfield, so no need for LOS coverage there. Once you are 2 yards off, if the QB starts to threaten the LOS (rollout, running towards LOS, etc) then it's an easy 1 or 2 steps to cover the LOS and look for illegal forward pass.