Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
NFL's First Female Official - Chargers vs Pack, 9 Aug

NFL's first female official to make debut Thursday
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Needs an asterisk or something.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

It will be a first and actually historic for sure. But the problem is these officials may never make the regular season when it really counts. Unfortunately she might be the last for some time.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

This had to be a tough call for her. A) Cross the picket line, drawing the ire of those who have been doing the job for a long time... yet achieve your dream, for who knows how long... or B) Refuse the job, and stand in solidarity with those who have not given you an honest chance in the first place. I don't envy her that decision.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't bet a lot of money they won't see the regular season -- unless, of course, the union gives in. They are still FAR apart, as told to me from what I consider reliable sources. Whether they are back talking again, however, I don't know.

The NFL isn't going to invest the time, effort, and money they have in these folks just to cave half way into the preseason.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 04:16pm
Chain of Fools

It was a smooth move by the NFL though. Too much grief from the NFLRA towards her and they come off as a bunch of sexist, GOB, pigs who are holding women back from their all-male domain.

They'll get it all worked out eventually and those guys will be like Crash Davis in Bull Durham- " I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life"
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
It was a smooth move by the NFL though. Too much grief from the NFLRA towards her and they come off as a bunch of sexist, GOB, pigs who are holding women back from their all-male domain.

They'll get it all worked out eventually and those guys will be like Crash Davis in Bull Durham- " I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life"
I do not see much of this becoming an issue for the NFLRA. I am sure they do not honestly care that much about her or anything they think will matter. Her career is probably over, at least at the level she came from. I know that is likely the case for the others. This very easily could get solved because it was pointed out to me that there were a few mistakes last night just in enforcements under the rules. If that continues to happen or someone gets hurt, the NFLRA will have a claim here to settle a deal on some level. Remember, the officials are locked out. They were willing to officiate without a contract. I think this could get bad for the league, because it is already starting with the media how unqualified the replacement officials are.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

When a marquee player gets rocked with no flag, you'll see things start to happen.

Anyone that thinks a D3 official can make a seamless transition to the NFL is nuts.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

The NFL can't wait to put out press releases touting the billions and billions of dollars in revenue each year (nothing wrong with that), but then wants to tell the players and referees association that they do not have any more money in their respective CBA negotiations. And then Commissioner Goodell wonders why no one believes a word he is saying.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Most recent analysis of the lockout I heard is that it goes away for about $100K per team.

That's not a large amount for those businesses.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 11:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
The NFL can't wait to put out press releases touting the billions and billions of dollars in revenue each year (nothing wrong with that), but then wants to tell the players and referees association that they do not have any more money in their respective CBA negotiations. And then Commissioner Goodell wonders why no one believes a word he is saying.
Goodell works for the owners and the owners run the league. If they wanted to take care of these issues they could, it is just a matter of will and priority. The owners want to make the most money, they do not want to pay out to officials and players if they do not have to.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, this female ref will have little credibility since she is in the NFL as a replacement ref. Had she been moved up in competition with the regular NFL guys and prospects, then she would be deemed worthy. I wonder if the NFL is using her as a distraction from the real problem, which is the incompetence of replacement refs. There is NO way they can do the job well. The NFL game is too fast and too intense for crews of total rookies to handle. How sad.

Also, if any D-I ref worked as a replacement ref, they'd be done in NCAA ball. I know of a guy who did this the last time and he never worked D-I again. Reffing is a fraternity and loyalties run deep.

Last edited by Forksref; Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 09:29am.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 10:28am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Reffing is a fraternity and loyalties run deep.
This and more extreme philosophies have been espoused at various blogs and message boards. I understand all of that. I am not a union member and live in a right to work state but I understand the good unions do and the flaws that they have. I also understand the current business climate in this country.

At some point, the planet Vulcan philosophy of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" evaporates into the American principle of "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Each official must weigh for themselves the risk and benefit to accept employment under the present circumstances. Unless presented with the opportunity, none of us can say with 100% accuracy what we would do.

Gotta walk a mile in the other dude/dudette's shoes.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Unfortunately, this female ref will have little credibility since she is in the NFL as a replacement ref. Had she been moved up in competition with the regular NFL guys and prospects, then she would be deemed worthy. I wonder if the NFL is using her as a distraction from the real problem, which is the incompetence of replacement refs. There is NO way they can do the job well. The NFL game is too fast and too intense for crews of total rookies to handle. How sad.

Also, if any D-I ref worked as a replacement ref, they'd be done in NCAA ball. I know of a guy who did this the last time and he never worked D-I again. Reffing is a fraternity and loyalties run deep.
Actually there is a woman official at the D1 level that is likely to be an NFL official in the future from what I am hearing that is not this woman working now. So she might be the first, but she might not be the first picked the right way.

And there is already evidence that people from the D1 and lower college level are not going to get their jobs back or lose a lot of their standing. I know I benefited by this situation this year and picked up some games because of this NFL situation. And now unless I mess up now I could get a position because the guys that left may never come back.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
This and more extreme philosophies have been espoused at various blogs and message boards. I understand all of that. I am not a union member and live in a right to work state but I understand the good unions do and the flaws that they have. I also understand the current business climate in this country.

At some point, the planet Vulcan philosophy of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" evaporates into the American principle of "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Each official must weigh for themselves the risk and benefit to accept employment under the present circumstances. Unless presented with the opportunity, none of us can say with 100% accuracy what we would do.

Gotta walk a mile in the other dude/dudette's shoes.
I will speak for myself. If offered a replacement job in the NFL, I would not take it. I personally know 4 NFL guys (2 who have retired) and I would not take their jobs. Simple as that.