The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
If you are doing it right the U should have a shorter run. The deep official should have forward progress to the K2 and the K/R official would work like a deep wing and get to the goal line on a break away. Using that mechanic the U should have gone from the R20 (or deeper as many do) to the K2 (78 yards). Now they only have to go from the 50 to the goal line (50 yards). If you did some handoff of the runner around mid-field then you weren't using a solid mechanic.
Well, our state has told us, and the official 5-man mechanics guide on our states website has the runners "handed off" to the BJ and in the old mechanic the LJ and the U and L clean up behind the play. So I am just going by what is done in our state and what I was taught from day one about kickoffs. If you don't think it is solid (personally I do and I guess our state does as well) I guess that is your opinion, but I was going by what we are taught.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
Well, our state has told us, and the official 5-man mechanics guide on our states website has the runners "handed off" to the BJ and in the old mechanic the LJ and the U and L clean up behind the play. So I am just going by what is done in our state and what I was taught from day one about kickoffs. If you don't think it is solid (personally I do and I guess our state does as well) I guess that is your opinion, but I was going by what we are taught.
It's not a horrible option and you should definitely do what your state/assigner tells you to do. Once I learned how this is handled in 7-man mechanics (where 2 officials remain on the sideline as well) that made a lot more sense to me. If you pass it off to the other official, he's going to have to work in front of the runner rather than behind the runner (optimal in every other situation) in order to beat the runner to the goal line.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:45am
TODO: creative title here

Last night I was at a training clinic done by the Minnesota State High School League.

The new kickoff mechanic came up in discussion, and our head rules interpreter called it "the stupidest thing he's ever read" and told us that we're going to continue to use the old mechanic in MN.

So, there you go.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Last night I was at a training clinic done by the Minnesota State High School League.

The new kickoff mechanic came up in discussion, and our head rules interpreter called it "the stupidest thing he's ever read" and told us that we're going to continue to use the old mechanic in MN.

So, there you go.
The online meeting of the MSHSL says we are going to use the new mechanics. I have a game next Friday (Week zero) so my crew would be interested if we are using the new mechanic or not.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2012, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Fed's covert attempt to move to smaller, quicker, more agile umpires?
Old Sun Aug 19, 2012, 03:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawktalk View Post
Fed's covert attempt to move to smaller, quicker, more agile umpires?
Officials should be quick and agile anyway. And I honestly do not see why this is a big deal in the first place. The Umpire had to do something they were not doing in the old mechanic. And if they do their job they will be ahead of the play anyway.

Also there are very few plays that this will affect. I doubt any crew will have more than 1 or 2 where it is an issue during the season.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
And there's the rub. How many unexpected on-sides kicks do you see in a year? I can remember entire seasons without seeing an attempted on-sides kick, let alone one that was unexpected. And when we expect it we put 2 guys on each restraining line.

I don't see the reasoning behind putting 2 officials on R's line in a 5-man game for something we'll be lucky to see once a season.
It seems that it would be best for the WH to have this alignment as an option for the "expected" onside kick. Some schools (like Arkansas' Pulaski Academy) EXCLUSIVELY use the onside kick. Pulaski Academy Onside Kicks vs Cabot - Sept 9, 2011 - YouTube <-- These are all from one game, and PA was up 29-0 before their opponent made its first snap from scrimmage.

But discretion should be available to the WH who will be aware of the coaching styles, and can make an intelligent assessment of the game situation and what he needs to do. There is no need for a one-size-fits-all kickoff procedure.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
It seems that it would be best for the WH to have this alignment as an option for the "expected" onside kick. Some schools (like Arkansas' Pulaski Academy) EXCLUSIVELY use the onside kick. Pulaski Academy Onside Kicks vs Cabot - Sept 9, 2011 - YouTube <-- These are all from one game, and PA was up 29-0 before their opponent made its first snap from scrimmage.

But discretion should be available to the WH who will be aware of the coaching styles, and can make an intelligent assessment of the game situation and what he needs to do. There is no need for a one-size-fits-all kickoff procedure.
I actually thought that the reverse would happen -- that they'd move more officials back to the goal line so that all officials could work forward. Put the R, U, and L across the goal line and then adjust forward if kicks were short.

But we just do as we're told. This is the new mechanic and we'll be using it. And I'll have to cover more of the field.

BTW, the R in this mechanic is to start on the numbers (or 9-yard-mark) on the chain side -- not the sideline.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

So, there you go.
What's so stupid about it?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
BTW, the R in this mechanic is to start on the numbers (or 9-yard-mark) on the chain side -- not the sideline.
Our state's mechanic wanted the R to start more on the sideline and adjust the LJ (used to be U) on the GL if ability of kicker or wind dictated that movement.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

I was questioning the necessity of the L being at the 50 on the kickoff. After our first game Friday night, I am convinced that it is a mistake. We had enough kickoffs (49 pts scored) that my test sample is large enough to go with the result.

I found that we didn't have good coverage of the L's sideline in terms of getting accurate spots. The L couldn't get from the 50 to the end of the run in time to be with the play enough to move directly onto the field for the spot. As the R, I am trailing the runner and don't have the perfect spot either. There is a 50 yd gap in coverage when the ball is kicked and this makes it hard to get good coverage.

BTW, Minnesota has told all of its officials to NOT do the new NFHS mechanic and use the old coverage. When we do games in Minnesota this year we will be doing the old mechanic.

I think the FED has sought to correct a problem that is not there. In 25 yrs of doing football, I have never seen the kicking team block prior to the ball going 10 yds. Except in on-side kicks whereby we have 4 guys on those lines anyway. If it didn't happen in yrs past when it was legal, why should we expect it to happen now when it is not legal?
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 09:08am
Chain of Fools

I agree with you Forksref. I imagine someone with ties to the rule committee could clarify why they thought there was a need for this change. I don't see it myself.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

My game last Friday gave me a good number of looks at this new mechanic. (9 kickoffs)

The new rule prohibits blocking by K until the ball goes 10 yds. My decades of experience tells me that this hasn’t occurred and the new mechanic is trying to protect against something that doesn’t happen. If it didn’t happen when it was legal then why expect it to happen when it is not legal now? The problem is that the L is now 50 yds away from the R who must stay at the GL. In our game Friday we had trouble getting accurate spots on returns on the chain side because the L was so far away at the kick. As R, I have to trail the play and not get even with the runner. This is not a good mechanic and Minnesota has now told its officials NOT to use the mechanic. I agree.

If there is an obvious on-side kick situation, then we have 4 guys on those 2 lines anyway.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I stopped questioning a long time ago why the NFHS does things...just roll with the punches. My job is to follow their rules and mechanics.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

The new blocking rule is meant to protect kids during an on-side or pooch kick. Too many injuries, and disadvantage, was caused by K plowing into R to clear out during the kick. A broad rule aimed at a specific problem.