The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

FS on field goal

Michigan vs. Va Tech - false start on winning kick All State Sugar Bowl 2012 - YouTube

I'm not a fan of either teams (but I do have the misfortune of working with some Michigan fans) but wonder if anyone for flag a kicker for a FS? I white hat on Friday nights and have flaged running backs for doing this, but would have a real hard time hitting a kicker for the same thing.

Thoughts from the hive?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

False Start or Illegal Motion on Kicker ? (video)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

On a high school field, I would call this.

On a college field, I'd do whatever the supervisor wanted me to do here. Absent guidance, I'd call this.

Of course, there's a chance that the R simply missed this. I know I'm counting linemen and focusing on pre-snap movement there, as well and the kicker isn't in my periphery the same was a back is during a typical scrimmage down.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Michigan vs. Va Tech - false start on winning kick All State Sugar Bowl 2012 - YouTube

I'm not a fan of either teams (but I do have the misfortune of working with some Michigan fans) but wonder if anyone for flag a kicker for a FS? I white hat on Friday nights and have flaged running backs for doing this, but would have a real hard time hitting a kicker for the same thing.
Looks like illegal motion, though it's not an advantage for the place kicker. However, if you have such a hard time, what would you think about a punter's starting forward before the snap? That looks just as much against the letter of the law, but also an unfair advantage.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:21am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Of course, there's a chance that the R simply missed this. I know I'm counting linemen and focusing on pre-snap movement there, as well and the kicker isn't in my periphery the same was a back is during a typical scrimmage down.
Maybe you're not wide and/or deep enough.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 02:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Maybe you're not wide and/or deep enough.
No, I'm at the numbers or outside (depending on the placement of the ball) and usually 5 yards behind the kicker.

I'm saying my eyes may not be there at the exact second the FS happened.

It's likely, though, that I'd catch this in my periphery. It's clearly a FS, so I'm just speculating why it wasn't called. For those who say it doesn't affect anything, what if the defense hesitates its rush because of the actions of the kicker? I'd flag it every time.