Do not give a damn!!

At this point, who cares?

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I see.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously the call was wrong. He can only spike the ball after a hand to hand snap. What kind of discussion are you expecting about something that was obviously wrong?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

The coach is wrong, it isn't a 15 yard penalty.

And in NCAA this is legal.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Obviously the call was wrong. He can only spike the ball after a hand to hand snap. What kind of discussion are you expecting about something that was obviously wrong?
Or the description of the play was wrong... all we have is the coachs' comments on the play. Got video?

Kind of stupid of the offended coach to get an, um .... 13 yard (!!!!???) unsportsmanlike penalty at that moment to make this an easier field goal, don't you think?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

The offensive coach makes it sound like it wasn't a spike but more of a shovel pass to a RB that is not completed. That is a huge judgement call that you would have to see in person or on film to have any kind of opinion.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:14pm
Official & ***** Member

Why am I not surprised that a coach, "with NFHS rule book firmly in hand", doesn't know that the penalty for IG is five yards (+ LOD), not fifteen?

And on top of that, they got a 15-yard USC penalty that allowed a shorter FG attempt?

Good grief.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Why am I not surprised that a coach, "with NFHS rule book firmly in hand", doesn't know that the penalty for IG is five yards (+ LOD), not fifteen?

And on top of that, they got a 15-yard USC penalty that allowed a shorter FG attempt?

Good grief.
Recheck that math ... apparently this USC was the very special 13 yard variety.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talk about the "blind leading the blind", it's amazing these two coaches made it as far as they have, knowing what they know, or don't know.

Broncos coach Kohl is partially correct in that is is a violation of NFHS 7-5-2-e, in that "a pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save yardage or to conserve time." is an Illegal forward pass, which calls for a 5 yard penalty (not 15 yds) and loss of down (the down is not repeated) and is enforced from the spot of the pass.

The stated exception to this rule states: It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forwardto the ground after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap.

The key word in this situation is "intentionally" which is always a judgment call make by the covering official, usually the Referee.

Liberty Coach Frigon introduces his own terminology into the equation by creating the term "Pistol Formation" which may exist in his surroundings but does not appear in any rule book. A shovel pass to another back (a fullback) as long as directed forward does constitute a legal forward pass, and unless deliberately thrown to be incomplete would not constitute an illegal forward pass, however, other than the actions of the passer, and possibly the receiver, the Referee has absolutely no way of knowing if the pass is thrown deliberately and intentionally to save either a loss of yardage or to save time, unless of course the coach of the passing team acknowledges that fact, after the game is over.

The Referee apparently judged the action he witnessed, an incomplete forward pass thrown to an eligible receiver behind the line, as not being a deliberate action. The fact that the Broncos received a 15 yard penalty for Unsportsmanlike Conduct, allowing the opponent the opportunity to successfully complete a winning field goal is entirely the responsibility of Coach Kohl for failing to maintain the level of composure required of him, as the adult supervisor of a team of student athletes.

I would suspect the Liberty School Administration and the supervisors of whatever governing body convened the contest, would take serious punitive action against Coach Frigon for acknowledging publicly that he deliberately instructed and encouraged his players to CHEAT by deliberately violating the NFHS rule against throwing an Illegal Forward Pass.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

The Chcago Bears QB did a hesitation before his grounding the ball after a hand-to-hand snap a week or so ago which resulted in a 10-second run-off and proved to be the final play of the game. Oops!
"Because you can referee wrong, make a mistake, but what you can not do is create your own sense of justice and, even worse, invent a very personal application of the rules." Dutch legend (soccer coach) Johan Cruyff
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Not all Coaches or AD's see circumventing the rules as cheating. You often hear coaches say, it isn't illegal if they don't call it!

If you aint Cheating, You aint Trying, is an old Coaching Adage!

I disagree with the philosphy but I can see the merit in it!
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like this comes down to the WH not being able to get into the QB's head and determine whether a pass thrown underhanded (shovel pass) towards an eligible receiver was intentionally thrown to save time.
There's a couple of possible tests that can be used to assess intent. If the ball is thrown directly at a receiver's back, thrown to the front of his body and he makes no attempt to stop it from hitting the ground, or thrown to his feet where he couldn't get to it, then there is a good case for intentional grounding.
I'm not buying the "we work in pistol formation" argument. There is nothing that stops a team from practicing the hand-to-hand snap, in order to know how to execute the mechanic that is explicitly described in the rules as the exception to an act that would normally be a foul. That would be like me telling my boss I can't drive the manual transmission work truck because my personal car is an automatic.
The article referenced is baised, and not all that well written. It's a pronoun soup that hurts to try to decipher, and the writer has a very obvious perception that the call on the field was wrong.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Not all Coaches or AD's see circumventing the rules as cheating. You often hear coaches say, it isn't illegal if they don't call it!

If you aint Cheating, You aint Trying, is an old Coaching Adage!

I disagree with the philosphy but I can see the merit in it!
A lot of thieves also think if they ain't stealing it ain't trying, and if they don't get caught it's no a crime. We each get to set our own standards.

Most of the coaches who feel cheating is OK if you get away with it, aren't stupid enough to admit their character deficiency publicly
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, same thing.

Of course all the guys in the joint got framed too!

Quote:
Most of the coaches who feel cheating is OK if you get away with it, aren't stupid enough to admit their character deficiency publicly

No but I have heard many of them speak at clinics and they say, hey we teach this technique, it is illegal but it is never called so what is the downside?