The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 01:25am
Broadcaster

Rough night

Every once in a while I see a game where an official gets at worst injured, at best bumped. I had not seen a game like that all season until tonight.

First, the umpire got his elbow banged against a helmet. Looked like it may have hit the badly named "funny bone." After a few minutes, play resumed.

Then on a sweep to the far sideline, the ball carrier dove for the pylon and took out a wing official. Knocked his legs right out from under him. After a good five to seven minute delay, the official walked it off and finished the game.

Finally as the quarterback tried to throw the ball, he was hit from behind altering the trajectory. The ball still had some zip on it and hit the umpire in the forehead, popped up in the air a few feet, then fell to the turf. The umpire was not injured, and I refrained from making a "hard headed" joke on the air.

Sometimes you guys should get combat pay.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think fans/parents have any idea the speed of a good high school or college game when it's coming at you and you have no protection on.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
Every once in a while I see a game where an official gets at worst injured, at best bumped. I had not seen a game like that all season until tonight.

First, the umpire got his elbow banged against a helmet. Looked like it may have hit the badly named "funny bone." After a few minutes, play resumed.

Then on a sweep to the far sideline, the ball carrier dove for the pylon and took out a wing official. Knocked his legs right out from under him. After a good five to seven minute delay, the official walked it off and finished the game.

Finally as the quarterback tried to throw the ball, he was hit from behind altering the trajectory. The ball still had some zip on it and hit the umpire in the forehead, popped up in the air a few feet, then fell to the turf. The umpire was not injured, and I refrained from making a "hard headed" joke on the air.

Sometimes you guys should get combat pay.
The umpire is obviously in the most dangerous position, which was part of the NFL's motivation to test moving him to A's backfield on scrimmage downs.

The two linesmen can easily be involved on rushes to the sideline if they mis-read or mis-judge even one player. The mechanic for the HL and LJ is usually to move to the pylon at the snap when the ball is within the 5 yard line. I always move the goal-line marker back a few more yards than the rest of the yard line markers before the game. During those goal-line plays I wait for it to be apparent that the play won't come to me before closing to my sideline. Just a few more feet lets me calmly stand, pivot and watch the play and I don't lose anything if a pile forms at the center of the goal line. But I've learned that from experience and from my own crew coaching me, ... and having been knocked on my butt a few times.

Sometimes the lottery of life grants you a great clinic in the hazard of the game. Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 03:43pm
In Time Out

Sometimes the umpire is used as a screen by receivers and gets run into. They are certainly in the flow of traffic to say the least.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I am of the opinion that the best rule created for safety of we officials, players, coaches and team personnel involved everyone being out of the restricted area (2-yard zone in front of the team box). Unfortunately, many officials still do not enforce the rule. Then those who do turn into the "bad guy".
Old Wed Nov 16, 2011, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
I am of the opinion that the best rule created for safety of we officials, players, coaches and team personnel involved everyone being out of the restricted area (2-yard zone in front of the team box). Unfortunately, many officials still do not enforce the rule. Then those who do turn into the "bad guy".
What do you mean "we?" I'm still in the middle dodging Mack trucks.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
I'm willing to be the bad guy if I can keep one of us from ending up in the hospital! I hit someone really, really hard this year and I hurt for weeks. Even more pre-game emphasis next year....maybe that will help.