The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 05:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Parents sue over blown call in hopes of N.M. playoff spot

Parents sue over blown call in hopes of N.M. playoff spot - Prep Rally - High SchoolBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
State football playoffs kick off on Friday in nearly all states which didn't start them on the first weekend of November. That's the case in New Mexico, too, though one school is fighting to put some of the state's scheduled matchups on hold until it can have a blown call rectified … and possibly be added to the playoff mix itself.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering what the parents think should happen...it can't be assumed that the field goal kicker would have even made the 41 yard field goal. Do they expect some team to just hand them their playoff spot?

I won't be surprised when this is tossed out by the judge.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 06:07pm
Chain of Fools

Refstripes board indicated that the injunction request was denied.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 07:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Judge denies Artisco's playoff bid in court - Carlsbad Current-Argus

And: Wow this may get interesting
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With Atrisco leading 24-15 -- and needing to win by 10 or more points -- a St. Pius defender was called for a tripping penalty with just three seconds remaining on the clock. That penalty pulled Atrisco to within field-goal range, where the subsequent 41-yarder would have landed the team a playoff berth.

Instead, the Jaguars never got to attempt the kick because officials started the clock on the final play before the ball was snapped. That shouldn't have happened since the penalty on the previous play should have ensured that the clock didn't begin until the ball was snapped.
What's the Fed rule here? Under NCAA rules, a foul or accepted penalty has nothing to do with the status of the clock.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 12:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
What's the Fed rule here? Under NCAA rules, a foul or accepted penalty has nothing to do with the status of the clock.
No, but since a foul occurred on the last timed down, A should've had an untimed down to try the field goal.

The article has the right conclusion, but the wrong reasoning.

EDIT: I've read another article that the previous play was an incomplete pass that had a defensive penalty attached to it. If so, the R made a mistake when winding the clock.

Points scored / point differential should never be a tiebreaker in HS sports.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Nov 12, 2011 at 12:08am.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

The game didn't end on a play with a foul under any scenario. I'm getting conflicting reports -- that there was a DPI (ostensibly an incomplete pass) or a tripping foul (could have resulted in DPI but unclear as to status of play). The only issue is whether the clock should have started on the RFP or the snap.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
The game didn't end on a play with a foul under any scenario. I'm getting conflicting reports -- that there was a DPI (ostensibly an incomplete pass) or a tripping foul (could have resulted in DPI but unclear as to status of play). The only issue is whether the clock should have started on the RFP or the snap.
If the clock was supposed to start on the RFP, and time ran out before the snap, then one more untimed down would be needed before the period could end. So either way the officials messed it up.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I see. Under NCAA rules, the rule only concerns itself with what the clock is at the end of the play with the foul. I thought I'd heard Fed was the same, but I guess not.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 03:40pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
No, but since a foul occurred on the last timed down, A should've had an untimed down to try the field goal.

The article has the right conclusion, but the wrong reasoning.

EDIT: I've read another article that the previous play was an incomplete pass that had a defensive penalty attached to it. If so, the R made a mistake when winding the clock.

Points scored / point differential should never be a tiebreaker in HS sports.
For years in Texas, especially when only one team from each district could go to the playoffs, coin flips were the deciding factor.

In the playoffs, penetrations (one snap inside your opponents 20 was considered a penetration) were used to settle tie games. It then progressed from first downs, yardage, etc. in the event penetrations were tied. Using this scenario, a team didn't have to score, just merely get inside an opponents 20 yard line at the end of a close game.

In the state final games in the event of a tie, both teams were declared co-champs.

Crazy isn't it.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 04:34pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
In the playoffs, penetrations (one snap inside your opponents 20 was considered a penetration) were used to settle tie games. It then progressed from first downs, yardage, etc. in the event penetrations were tied. Using this scenario, a team didn't have to score, just merely get inside an opponents 20 yard line at the end of a close game.

In the state final games in the event of a tie, both teams were declared co-champs.

Crazy isn't it.
In NC in the early 70's, a playoff game tie game was broken by total yardage gained. The only state championship my high school has ever won was a tie game co-championship in 1972.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like there should have been an untimed down if there indeed was a tripping foul or dpi during the previous down.
Coach should have challenged the referee at that time. Once it is over, it is over......... unless it goes to court. Hope it gets thrown out with all costs assigned to plainiffs.
This was a crew boot, not just the referee.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
Sounds like there should have been an untimed down if there indeed was a tripping foul or dpi during the previous down.
Coach should have challenged the referee at that time. Once it is over, it is over......... unless it goes to court. Hope it gets thrown out with all costs assigned to plainiffs.
This was a crew boot, not just the referee.
Already been denied. Also the crew came out and admitted their mistake.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Nov 18, 2011, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Is it possible that the officials were unaware of the team's playoff situation, saw that they were up 9 points with a few seconds left, and just rolled the clock thinking they were doing everyone a favor by finishing the game?
I know it violates the rules, but I've been on fields where it happens. At lower levels, the risk of injury for a meaningless play probably outweighs the letter of the law. This well resembles those situations. If the crew thinks the play has no potential meaning, they might just wind it and call it a night.
If it was indeed a DPI, couldn't they have spiked the ball if they really wanted to get their kicker on? Or could they just not get their act together when it really counts, hence, not rate a playoff spot?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2011, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
Is it possible that the officials were unaware of the team's playoff situation, saw that they were up 9 points with a few seconds left, and just rolled the clock thinking they were doing everyone a favor by finishing the game?
I know it violates the rules, but I've been on fields where it happens. At lower levels, the risk of injury for a meaningless play probably outweighs the letter of the law. This well resembles those situations. If the crew thinks the play has no potential meaning, they might just wind it and call it a night.
If it was indeed a DPI, couldn't they have spiked the ball if they really wanted to get their kicker on? Or could they just not get their act together when it really counts, hence, not rate a playoff spot?
Why would they try and spike the ball when they very well should be expecting either the clock to start on the snap or get an untimed down? There's no need to try and mitigate the officials mistake here. Heck, they've even owned up to it and admitted as much.

Still, trying to sue was absolutely silly but then again, anyone can sue in America.