LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Rules online

Is this legal?
Rules & Resources
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 07:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Probably not, so download while you can.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

No, I don't think it's legal but I'd like to know how they got that pdf. I have been pestering NFHS/Arbiter to get a copy and they claim they don't have one other than the one available.

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
No, I don't think it's legal but I'd like to know how they got that pdf. I have been pestering NFHS/Arbiter to get a copy and they claim they don't have one other than the one available.

-Josh
They went to the new format specifically because of sites like these. It's a shame because I love having the PDF copies to read on the train. Looks like I'll have to buy hard copies going forward and send them to 1dollarscan.com.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

-Josh
The NFHS website had PDF's for a few weeks when the new books came out. A few people downloaded them (legally) at that time.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Reason 352 I like working under NCAA rules better.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:09am
Chain of Fools

So pay the $35 a year and join the Fed. I've got pdf rule and case book copies loaded on work and home PC's. You'll also get some liability insurance coverage- $1 mil. I think.

While some have stated they can no longer access the Fed pdf's, I just pulled them up.

My SoCon & SAC cohorts had to download their NCAA books and most took them to be bound so I don't know how that makes the NCAA necessarily better.

Last edited by HLin NC; Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 09:12am.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:16am
Archaic Power Monger

HL, I am a member of the Fed Officials Association and I cannot access the PDFs anymore. Neither can numerous others that are members. The only access we have is through the Arbiter which does not have the PDFs anywhere.

My guess is some that have been members for a while longer still have access to the NFHS website.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
So pay the $35 a year and join the Fed. I've got pdf rule and case book copies loaded on work and home PC's. You'll also get some liability insurance coverage- $1 mil. I think.

While some have stated they can no longer access the Fed pdf's, I just pulled them up.

My SoCon & SAC cohorts had to download their NCAA books and most took them to be bound so I don't know how that makes the NCAA necessarily better.
It has nothing to do with paying and joining the Fed. I am a member of the NFHS officials association. The Fed has decided not to make the PDF copies available to members of the officials association anymore as referenced in the error message listed below.

While it's great that you are apparently a paid member of a NFHS professional association or state association staff, not all of us are.

-----------------------------------------------

Welcome to the NFHS Resource Library. The section provides online access to various NFHS publications. Note: The NFHS Rules Books and Case Books are available for paid members of the NFHS professional associations and state association staff.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and view any PDF documents. Downloading and printing of this copyrighted material is prohibited. Click on the Acrobat Reader icon to download this free program.

ACCESS DENIED. YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN AND BE A MEMBER OF AN NFHS PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION OR STATE STAFF MEMBER.

NOTE: AS OF JANUARY 2011 MEMBERS OF THE NFHS OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION ARE TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE NFHS RULES CONTENT VIA THE NFHS/ARBITER HUB. THIS AREA IS LOCATED AT THE FOLLOWING URL...

HTTP://NFHS.ARBITERSPORTS.COM

NOTE: THE NFHS IS MOVING AWAY FROM MAKING PDF FILES AVAILABLE ONLINE. THIS IS DUE TO THE INCREASED ABUSE OF THE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. FAR TOO MANY LOCAL CHAPTERS AND GROUPS HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTING THE PDF VERSIONS ONLINE. AS WE MOVE FORWARD ONLY ONLINE SEARCHABLE VERSIONS WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Heaven forbid that people should get free access to rules materials.

What these chuckleheads don't understand is that I already get a rule book and case book every season. I just want it for my iPhone and iPad and in a format I can easily search.

John, thanks for the link.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

good thing they aren't on Flash Player then.

I don't understand why Apple toys ( I have both an iPhone and iPad) can read Adobe PDFs but not watch Adobe Flash Videos.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...-flash-iphone/

Last edited by bigjohn; Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 10:35am.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Simply because Steve Jobs thought of Flash as inferior and instead pushed HTML5.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 11:52am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
It has nothing to do with paying and joining the Fed. I am a member of the NFHS officials association.
As am I, which is what I mean when I say "join the Fed". Sorry that I didn't type it out exact and specific.

This topic got discussed earlier this season. Apparently there is some unknown and arbitrary differentiation that only the NFHS knows or doesn't. There are some members who can still access and some who can't and there have been several theories but none proven as there isn't a consistent sample.

However by joining the NFOA, does this not also access the online rules on the Arbiter? I realize that doesn't give one a printable format but at least an electronic one.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

or Join

Southern Nevada Officials Association