The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

starting game clock

NCAA rules:

I was watching our local DII college team play last night and there were a couple plays that I have a question on. Both plays were pretty much the same and were administered the same. I am confused on why the game clock was started when it was.

A running play around end and the ball carrier end up being tackled out of bounds. There is a holding penalty on the offense during the run. They administer the penalty and the game clock started on the ready for play whistle and not the snap. As I mentioned this happened twice.

I thought that it should have started on the snap. It would have at the high school level correct?
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

It would depend on where forward progress was ruled to have been stopped. If it was ruled that forward progress was stopped in-bounds, then the clock should start at the ready.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

In NCAA, clock starts on the ready on plays that end OOB, except in the last two minutes of the half. The penalty has nothing to do with it.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
NCAA rules:

I was watching our local DII college team play last night and there were a couple plays that I have a question on. Both plays were pretty much the same and were administered the same. I am confused on why the game clock was started when it was.

A running play around end and the ball carrier end up being tackled out of bounds. There is a holding penalty on the offense during the run. They administer the penalty and the game clock started on the ready for play whistle and not the snap. As I mentioned this happened twice.

I thought that it should have started on the snap. It would have at the high school level correct?

NCAA

3-3-2 e Starts on the Referee’s Signal. For each of the following reasons, the game clock is stopped on an official’s signal. If the next play begins with a snap, the game clock will start on the referee’s signal:

3. Other than with fewer than two minutes remaining in a half, a Team A ball carrier, fumble or backward pass is ruled out of bounds.

4. To complete a penalty (Exception: Rule 3-4-4-c).

Fed

Snap.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Run oob in NFHS, clock starts on the snap.
Run oob in NCAA, clock starts on the ready unless under 2 minutes left in the 2nd or 4th qtrs.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answer to my question. I guess there are enough differences in rules at each level that we never know for sure when we have a legitimate gripe
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Thanks for the answer to my question. I guess there are enough differences in rules at each level that we never know for sure when we have a legitimate gripe
When in doubt the officials are always right
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
When in doubt the officials are always right
I should clarify the "we" was used as a general term...as an official myself I try very hard to never gripe...

I've used that line many times...and tell people to remember that without the officials it would not be a game, but only recess.