The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Gophers vs nebraska

Early first quarter Nebraska goes on 4th down and a couple in the red zone. Qb attempts backwards pass to receiver in the flat. Ball goes off the receivers hands and deflects 4 yds forward and out of bounds.

Refs rule backwards pass is by rule offenses ball at point it went out of bounds which is enough for a first down. Doesn't that only apply if it is passed backwards and not touched? Once it's touched doesn't it become a fumble and by rule can't be advanced.

If they blew it it was a huge game changer, went from gopher ball to first and goal for nebraska
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 07:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

A backward pass never becomes a fumble, it will always remain as such until it becomes dead or is possessed. In this case, the backward pass was muffed but it remained a backward pass. They got the call right.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 07:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
Early first quarter Nebraska goes on 4th down and a couple in the red zone. Qb attempts backwards pass to receiver in the flat. Ball goes off the receivers hands and deflects 4 yds forward and out of bounds.

Refs rule backwards pass is by rule offenses ball at point it went out of bounds which is enough for a first down. Doesn't that only apply if it is passed backwards and not touched? Once it's touched doesn't it become a fumble and by rule can't be advanced.

If they blew it it was a huge game changer, went from gopher ball to first and goal for nebraska
Why would you assume experienced NCAA refs (who, BTW, got it right) are wrong here?
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

So your are telling me the offense can advance the ball be deflecting a backwards pass forward? So I guess gophers were lucky he didn't deflect it harder for a touchdown.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 08:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

I suppose though intentionally batting a backward pass forward is illegal and so is batting forward a grounded loose ball. As I often say, "Sorry coach but that's the rule."
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Why would you assume experienced NCAA refs (who, BTW, got it right) are wrong here?
I didn't understand the rule. I came here for explanation. If I was assuming they were wrong, I would not have used "if". If that is the rule it is what it is.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once it's touched doesn't it become a fumble and by rule can't be advanced.
First, the rule in question: "When a backward pass goes out of bounds between the goal lines, the ball belongs to the passing team at the out-*of-*bounds spot."

Second, a fumble and backward pass are two different things, even if both are treated similar in many cases (here, they aren't -- the rule cited above is different for fumbles). One never "becomes" another, regardless of what happens. A pass can be completed, intercepted, or become dead (incomplete) ONLY. A fumble can be possessed ONLY. At least, in terms of what they "become." There can be other illegal activities like batting and kicking, and I may have left out one or two legal activities, but for the most part, this is correct.

Finally, I'm not sure what gives you the idea that it "can't be advanced." Either a backward pass or fumble can be advanced by either team, except on 4th down and try's with respect to Team A and the one that fumbled.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
First, the rule in question: "When a backward pass goes out of bounds between the goal lines, the ball belongs to the passing team at the out-*of-*bounds

Finally, I'm not sure what gives you the idea that it "can't be advanced." Either a backward pass or fumble can be advanced by either team, except on 4th down and try's with respect to Team A and the one that fumbled.
In the op I mentioned that this was fourth down.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So your are telling me the offense can advance the ball by deflecting a backwards pass forward?
Heck, for several years before 1979, you could even do so by batting it!
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

CANADIAN RULING:

This is a backwards pass. The pass terminated when it touched the Team A player's hands. When the ball subsequent out of bounds, Team A retains possession, but at the worse spot of (a) point of last touch, or (b) out of bounds spot. In this case, it is choice (a).

Team A could never gain a 1st down in Canada with this type of play. Giving a 1st down is just ridiculous.