The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Gophers vs nebraska (https://forum.officiating.com/football/82701-gophers-vs-nebraska.html)

Snocatzdad Sat Oct 22, 2011 07:21pm

Gophers vs nebraska

Early first quarter Nebraska goes on 4th down and a couple in the red zone. Qb attempts backwards pass to receiver in the flat. Ball goes off the receivers hands and deflects 4 yds forward and out of bounds.

Refs rule backwards pass is by rule offenses ball at point it went out of bounds which is enough for a first down. Doesn't that only apply if it is passed backwards and not touched? Once it's touched doesn't it become a fumble and by rule can't be advanced.

If they blew it it was a huge game changer, went from gopher ball to first and goal for nebraska

Welpe Sat Oct 22, 2011 07:49pm

A backward pass never becomes a fumble, it will always remain as such until it becomes dead or is possessed. In this case, the backward pass was muffed but it remained a backward pass. They got the call right.

Rich Sat Oct 22, 2011 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snocatzdad (Post 795359)
Early first quarter Nebraska goes on 4th down and a couple in the red zone. Qb attempts backwards pass to receiver in the flat. Ball goes off the receivers hands and deflects 4 yds forward and out of bounds.

Refs rule backwards pass is by rule offenses ball at point it went out of bounds which is enough for a first down. Doesn't that only apply if it is passed backwards and not touched? Once it's touched doesn't it become a fumble and by rule can't be advanced.

If they blew it it was a huge game changer, went from gopher ball to first and goal for nebraska

Why would you assume experienced NCAA refs (who, BTW, got it right) are wrong here?

Snocatzdad Sat Oct 22, 2011 07:59pm

So your are telling me the offense can advance the ball be deflecting a backwards pass forward? So I guess gophers were lucky he didn't deflect it harder for a touchdown.

Welpe Sat Oct 22, 2011 08:00pm

I suppose though intentionally batting a backward pass forward is illegal and so is batting forward a grounded loose ball. As I often say, "Sorry coach but that's the rule."

Snocatzdad Sat Oct 22, 2011 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 795362)
Why would you assume experienced NCAA refs (who, BTW, got it right) are wrong here?

I didn't understand the rule. I came here for explanation. If I was assuming they were wrong, I would not have used "if". If that is the rule it is what it is.

Texas Aggie Sat Oct 22, 2011 09:38pm

Quote:

Once it's touched doesn't it become a fumble and by rule can't be advanced.
First, the rule in question: "When a backward pass goes out of bounds between the goal lines, the ball belongs to the passing team at the out-*of-*bounds spot."

Second, a fumble and backward pass are two different things, even if both are treated similar in many cases (here, they aren't -- the rule cited above is different for fumbles). One never "becomes" another, regardless of what happens. A pass can be completed, intercepted, or become dead (incomplete) ONLY. A fumble can be possessed ONLY. At least, in terms of what they "become." There can be other illegal activities like batting and kicking, and I may have left out one or two legal activities, but for the most part, this is correct.

Finally, I'm not sure what gives you the idea that it "can't be advanced." Either a backward pass or fumble can be advanced by either team, except on 4th down and try's with respect to Team A and the one that fumbled.

Snocatzdad Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 795378)
First, the rule in question: "When a backward pass goes out of bounds between the goal lines, the ball belongs to the passing team at the out-*of-*bounds

Finally, I'm not sure what gives you the idea that it "can't be advanced." Either a backward pass or fumble can be advanced by either team, except on 4th down and try's with respect to Team A and the one that fumbled.

In the op I mentioned that this was fourth down.

Robert Goodman Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snocatzdad (Post 795364)
So your are telling me the offense can advance the ball by deflecting a backwards pass forward?

Heck, for several years before 1979, you could even do so by batting it!

JugglingReferee Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:12am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snocatzdad (Post 795359)

CANADIAN RULING:

This is a backwards pass. The pass terminated when it touched the Team A player's hands. When the ball subsequent out of bounds, Team A retains possession, but at the worse spot of (a) point of last touch, or (b) out of bounds spot. In this case, it is choice (a).

Team A could never gain a 1st down in Canada with this type of play. Giving a 1st down is just ridiculous.