The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Where is the warning.

I coach a peewee football team in CO. We were playing 7-8-9 yr olds. Thus team had a very short player that was running the ball when my player went for the runner he was reaching over a blocker when he grabed the shoulder pads and pulled him down. The referee didnt throw the flag until the other caoch said something. Now we have one coach on the field on both teams. I was on the other sideline and i was saying the boy was short, and referee threw the flag at me and ejected me with out a warning. the line judge said that was wrong and didnt fight it. So is this right
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 06:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel93tex93 View Post
I coach a peewee football team in CO. We were playing 7-8-9 yr olds. Thus team had a very short player that was running the ball when my player went for the runner he was reaching over a blocker when he grabed the shoulder pads and pulled him down. The referee didnt throw the flag until the other caoch said something. Now we have one coach on the field on both teams. I was on the other sideline and i was saying the boy was short, and referee threw the flag at me and ejected me with out a warning. the line judge said that was wrong and didnt fight it. So is this right
Problem one is this was a pee wee football game. Secondly there is no requirement for a warning based on what you said or did. If you want a warning then realize that anytime you do something or address an official and they feel it is disrespectful, they have the right to judge what level of conduct that you have displayed and eject you on the spot for a flagrant act. Again, I was not there and not sure what a short player has to do with the situation or your grip. But the officials are within their right to throw you out, now whether that was a good think is another issue. None of us where there so we do not know or have not talked to the official.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's not the purpose of this forum for officials to take sides in disputes of this sort, where we hear only one side of the story. We have no idea what was said or what the officials ruled. No responsible official will come on here and say, "sure coach, you're right, the officials and opposing coaches sure handled that wrong."

If you have a question about the rules of football, feel free to ask.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...referee threw the flag at me and ejected me with out a warning.
Right or wrong? No idea.

But no official is under any obligation to warn you before ejecting you from a game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Who has a rule against tackling by the shoulders?
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
To answer your question: It could be correct. It certainly is within the rules. There is no requirement for a warning and there is no requirement for a second USL to make an ejection. Some people think there is because there is an automatic ejection for a second USL on the same offender.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Football officials don't really like ejecting people. Admitting we weren't there, but based on both what you've said, and the way you said it, I strongly suspect your ejection was justified. And no, there's no warning needed.

I will echo the other question though ... what in the world is wrong with tackling at the shoulder pads and/or reaching over a blocker?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Football officials don't really like ejecting people. Admitting we weren't there, but based on both what you've said, and the way you said it, I strongly suspect your ejection was justified. And no, there's no warning needed.

I will echo the other question though ... what in the world is wrong with tackling at the shoulder pads and/or reaching over a blocker?
It could have resulted in a horse collar tackle.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG UMP View Post
It could have resulted in a horse collar tackle.
That is true and possible, but it is not illegal to grab someone by the shoulder pads or it is not illegal or legal because of the height of the players involved. Again, this is a Pee Wee Coach that probably does not understand the rules on many levels and why the description was vague or incomplete.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:35pm
Chain of Fools

"Hey ump, how about a warning?" Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham
"ok, watch out so's you don't get hit" Umpire

Field of Dreams
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
"Hey ump, how about a warning?" Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham
"ok, watch out so's you don't get hit" Umpire

Field of Dreams
Well, since you bring up BB "warnings" I did eject a coach once who asked the same thing. My warning was "OK. Don't trip on your way home...."

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!