The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar play in a sub-varsity game. On the PAT, A lined up in the muddle huddle then sent a man in motion behind the snapper. As he passed by the snapper, he put his hands under center but continued his motion. Do we have anything?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef View Post
I had a similar play in a sub-varsity game. On the PAT, A lined up in the muddle huddle then sent a man in motion behind the snapper. As he passed by the snapper, he put his hands under center but continued his motion. Do we have anything?
Maybe I'm an idiot... but what rule do you think was broken here?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:20pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Illegal touching
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Assuming the ball wasn't snapped at that point, it's a false start -- simulating action at the snap. In fact, that's a paradigmatic type of tactic the rule against simulating action at the snap was written against.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Assuming the ball wasn't snapped at that point, it's a false start -- simulating action at the snap. In fact, that's a paradigmatic type of tactic the rule against simulating action at the snap was written against.
No. The number of ways that is wrong is nearly without number. What action was simulated? Preparation for receipt of a possible snap? No. And no, that's NOT what the rule is referring to. that rule is more for the running back that suddenly starts forward on a false count, but then goes in motion. The SUDDEN start, designed to simulate the beginning of the play, is what is a false start.

Now... say your in motion guy reaches under then suddenly drops back a yard as if to prepare to pass --- then we have a false start.

The OP? No way.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
What action was simulated? Preparation for receipt of a possible snap? No.
No, thrusting the hands under and then away from center, as if receiving the ball while he ran across the formation. NCAA's rules committee statement under "shift plays" interpret'ns refers to this as "the quarterback `chucking' hands at center".

Quote:
The SUDDEN start, designed to simulate the beginning of the play, is what is a false start.

Now... say your in motion guy reaches under then suddenly drops back a yard as if to prepare to pass --- then we have a false start.
If he's a man in motion coming across the backfield, as was specified by BuckeyeRef, there's practically no way it's not a sudden movement. How slow would he have to be moving for it not to look like he's taking the snap? BuckeyeRef didn't say he paused there, but rather that he continued his motion.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Maybe I'm an idiot... but what rule do you think was broken here?
You might not be an idiot (that is for others to decide anyway), but it is not uncommon to have people claim this should be a foul and often when video is show and any movement by the QB takes place (usually going under center by leaning forward or putting their hands down to receive the snap), there are many that want that to be called, which is why I made the statement I did awhile back, but some people I guess have never heard this claim before. I have and hope that any official that sees this is not being too technical and calling a foul. And the very reason you are now seeing Robert make a claim this is illegal on some level.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

There are many types of movement a QB might make that don't make it look like he's just taken the snap. However, what could be the purpose of having someone in motion across the formation put his hands under and then continue across, except to make it look like he'd taken the snap?