The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I just got the NFHS reply to me question on the OPI/Illegal touching quandry. The Federation is standing by the case book play. Frankly, I'm going with the rule book.

First, the Federation response:
The NFHS Football Clarification that was sent out to the Committee on August 25, 2011 is correct. The Editorial Committee is going to review the rules language for Rule 7-5-13 for 2012.

Here is the case book play. This is from the NFHS Clarifications of Case Book Plays, which is slightly different than the case book - but those parts specific to our question are not changed:
Page 59, *7.5.13 SITUATION A: Ineligible receiver A2 is behind, in or beyond his neutral zone when a forward pass by A1: (a) accidentally strikes him in the back; or (b) is muffed by him; or (c) is caught by him. RULING: In (a), there is no illegal touching, however, if beyond the line of scrimmage, it would be offensive pass interference if the game officials judge that the offensive player interfered with B’s chance to move toward, catch or bat the pass. In (b) and (c), it is illegal touching and if beyond the line of scrimmage, would also be offensive pass interference. The acts in both (b) and (c) are intentional and not accidental as in (a) as it relates to illegal touching. Although ineligible downfield could also be called, the offended team will likely choose the most severe penalty to be applied.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you wonder if these yahoos even read the rules they publish. Good grief, that's a Freaking Mess.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Sometimes you wonder if these yahoos even read the rules they publish. Good grief, that's a Freaking Mess.
The case is new (revised, actually) this year. I guess they plan to "fix" the rule to match it for next year. Ew.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
If he catches it beyond the LOS without being touched by B first, then it is OPI, if it just hits him, it is illegal touching (i.e. he did not make an attempt to catch it), and he is illegally down field. Multiple foul take your pick captain. IMHO
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 12:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemiller View Post
If he catches it beyond the LOS without being touched by B first, then it is OPI, if it just hits him, it is illegal touching (i.e. he did not make an attempt to catch it), and he is illegally down field. Multiple foul take your pick captain. IMHO
That was the rule years ago. It hasn't been for quite some time.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 04:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When there is a conflict in rulings, both from seemingly reputable sources, it's good to compare the outcomes/effects of the application differences.

I believe that OPI is 15 + LD.

What is the penalty for IT?
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 06:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
When there is a conflict in rulings, both from seemingly reputable sources, it's good to compare the outcomes/effects of the application differences.

I believe that OPI is 15 + LD.

What is the penalty for IT?
5 + LOD.

The rule was changed from OPI to IT in 2006:

NFHS: New rule for 2006. If any ineligible player intentionally touches a forward pass anywhere on the field it is Illegal touching--5yds and loss of down. If the touching was downfield the penalty will be enforced from the previous spot. If the Illegal touching is behind the line, its enforced from the spot of the foul. Again the touching must be intentional; if the ball simply hits him, that's not illegal touching.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 06:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemiller View Post
Matter of fact, neither of these is right. If it just hits him (and it's unintentional), it's nothing. It's been that way for 6 seasons now. For it to be an illegal touch, it must be muffed, batted, or caught by an ineligible A receiver.

Quite frankly, I'm stunned that the NFHS would essentially removed 5 years of a rule change specifically made (with an erroneous case play) and then fail to admit their error. And quite frankly, this is a bad change, quite backwards IMO.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Sep 17, 2011 at 06:14am.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The Rule Book is the law.

The Case Book is a supplement to the Rule Book.

It's illegal touching, not OPI.

Amen.

The rule was changed several years ago. The casebook is flat wrong!
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 12:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

I see the NFHS has decided to add a case for football that is as patently absurd as the infamous backcourt play in basketball.