The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Spotting

Hi guys,

OK, I can admit it when I get confused. I went back and read two great threads on this subject and I thought I had my hands around not only the concept but the practical side of this issue.

I watched a number of college games yesterday and I saw Umpires repeatedly place the ball to an "exact" yard line before the new snap.

You White Hats explained this very well previously.

Then by watching two separate games I got cross-threaded:

In the Rice game a runner was taken down inside the 1 yard line. Before the next snap the Umpire came in and moved the ball back about 1 foot so the nose of the ball was on the 1. I was fine with that.

Then in the Oregon game the Duck runner was downed at about the 1' line. Prior to the next snap the Umpire stepped in and placed the ball back to the identical position that was down in the Rice game.

The next Duck play the runner was downed about 1' short of the 1 yard line. Before the next snap the Upire stepped in and placed the nose of the ball at the 2 yard line.

Now this was all very understandable and consistent.

Then I got punched in the gut:

In the Rice game there was a measurement for a 1st down. I would say the distance was about 6" short of the marked yard line. They brought the chains in and placed the ball . . . it was about 1' from the next yard line.

When the offense came to the line the Umpire DID NOT remark the ball and let them play from a "non-marked" line.

So what confused me is that in the first two examples teams had about 1' to score a touchdown and the ball was replaced but when a team was going for the first down the ball was not remarked.

This seems to fly in the face of logic.

Can you guys give me some advice?

Thanks,

T
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

I honestly do not know what you have heard or completely understand, but the basic philosophy that we adhere to is to start as many series as possible on a yard line. If the ball is played within a series then you put the ball where it was downed. But for any long run or clear first down, we try to put the ball on a marker. It helps keep track of the starting point and any penalties that may take place. Near the GL we put the ball where it is downed because inches really matter than. No one cares were the ball is placed in the middle of the field an inch or two one way or another. Not sure that answers your question, but that is what we do in both HS and college when we have well marked field, which is becoming more common with the new turf fields.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Jeff that is how I originally understood the explanation.

The problem is the crew at the Oregon game spotted the ball after EVERY play to the yard marker.

This is an interesting issue to me who knows very little about the details of officiating this sport.

T
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Jeff that is how I originally understood the explanation.

The problem is the crew at the Oregon game spotted the ball after EVERY play to the yard marker.

This is an interesting issue to me who knows very little about the details of officiating this sport.

T
There are crews that take this a little too far. But this is something that is done at every level of football and just like anything there are folks that do not understand the reasons or basis as to why we do this.

Peace