The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:19pm
TODO: creative title here

Spotting the ball, close to line-to-gain

(Assuming 4+ man mechanics)

What mechanics should be used when the ball is spotted close to the line to gain; ie, when you think there will probably be a measurement needed?

Usually, I've seen the wing official mark the spot with his foot as normal, and have the U (or whoever) hand the ball to the wing to set down where he thinks it should go. However, I've had a couple of people tell me that the Umpire should set the ball down where he thinks the ball should be based on the wing's mark. As an Umpire, I'm a bit leery of doing so because any place I set the ball could be a couple of inches off from where the wing thinks it really should be spotted.

What say you?
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

If it's close, toss it to the wing to get a true spot. Your instincts are right.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

If it is close then the wing must bust it to the spot and put the ball down himself. Then there is no doubt.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The wing comes in to the spot and spots it himself. Tossing it out to the wing looks terrible and the umpire spotting it isn't precise enough (even though it's good enough on other plays).
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

If you are on the wing, and the play is in the middle of the field, bust your *** to give the spot. If it is on the sidelines and close, you have to hold the spot so I don't see a problem with the ump getting the ball to you. You'd hope the kid would give you the ball, but good luck with that.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 05:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLJ View Post
If you are on the wing, and the play is in the middle of the field, bust your *** to give the spot. If it is on the sidelines and close, you have to hold the spot so I don't see a problem with the ump getting the ball to you. You'd hope the kid would give you the ball, but good luck with that.
Well, of course. I was talking about officials who have a spot inside the hash marks who stop and spot the ball in the sidezone rather than busting in -- I see guys do it all the time and it looks terrible. My crew knows they have to come in -- and if it's close I'll be yelling "get a spot, get a spot" if they don't immediately pick up on it.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 09:19am
TODO: creative title here

Thanks guys. It's always nice to have my instincts validated.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
If it's close, toss it to the wing to get a true spot. Your instincts are right.

Hand it to the wing.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

As RMR said - HAND it to the wing, don't toss it. If you make a poor toss and he instinctively moves to catch it, then he's lost his spot.

The hardest thing is when it is the head Linesman's spot and close to the front stick. He is reliant on the Line Judge to be yelling "Close, close" to draw him in to the exact spot (East/West as well as North/South). Under no circumstances do you want the HL turning away from dead ball action by players and looking over his shoulder at the front stick himself.

The great Linesmen have a good idea (before the ball is snapped) of where team A need to get to to make a 1st - that patch of mud, that next 5yd line, that faded grass, etc.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The wing comes in to the spot and spots it himself. Tossing it out to the wing looks terrible and the umpire spotting it isn't precise enough (even though it's good enough on other plays).
The wing loses his precision when he comes in to the spot - the umpire may as well spot it at this point.

Bring the ball out to the wing and have him set it.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 09:49pm.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
The wing loses his precision when he comes in to the spot - the umpire may as well spot it at this point.

Bring the ball out to the wing and have him set it.
No, the wing sees the spot of the field where the ball should be spotted and he runs to that spot. He puts the ball down exactly where he saw it become dead.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
No, the wing sees the spot of the field where the ball should be spotted and he runs to that spot. He puts the ball down exactly where he saw it become dead.
I couldn't disagree more. As written, that is a terrible mechanic.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. As written, that is a terrible mechanic.
Everyone on here as well as all NFL officials and all NCAA FBS I have ever seen do it the way I described. Might be possible that they know what is best.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Everyone on here as well as all NFL officials and all NCAA FBS I have ever seen do it the way I described. Might be possible that they know what is best.
You've never seen an NFL or NCAA official square off a spot?

Seeing the spot where the ball became dead and running straight to it (regardless of your position on the field) is a terrible mechanic.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've never seen an NFL or NCAA official square off a spot?

Seeing the spot where the ball became dead and running straight to it (regardless of your position on the field) is a terrible mechanic.
Squaring off has nothing to do with anything, one can do that and still run to the spot.

A more important question would be have you ever seen an NFL or NCAA official bring the ball into the side zone for a measurement after it became dead between the inbounds lines?