The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Misunderstood football rules

NFHS

Last year before Basketball season, someone posted "Most misunderstood basketball rules" for both the offense(part I) and the defense (part II). It was a great post and created a lot of good conversation

Does someone have a similar post for football?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

For me the new Block Below the Waist (NCAA) has all the elements of a bad rule. It is hard to understand, explain and enforce properly. Look for alot of flag pickups this year.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 11:24am
Chain of Fools

Intentional grounding- there is no tackle box in Fed ball.

Horse collar tackle- the hand has to go inside the collar and or shoulder pad. grabbing the back of the jersey, to wit: the shoulder area, is not a horse collar.

Illegal substitution- "Dey broke duh huddle wif twayulv, dey broke duh huddle wif twayulv" is not a foul.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Halo Rule.

I had a coach just ask about this last Friday. This has not been a football rule at any level for over 5 years I am sure and people still think this rule is in place.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
For me the new Block Below the Waist (NCAA) has all the elements of a bad rule. It is hard to understand, explain and enforce properly. Look for alot of flag pickups this year.
I think the committee made it much easier. The only flags that will be picked up is if a wings key goes across the field, while his focus has turned to a ball carrier, and the deep guys didn't know where he came from. Otherwise it is easy. Blocking below the waist is now illegal, with some exceptions. Those exeptions also include a few restrictions on players. essentially, anyone can block low north south or toward their adjacent (outside) sideline. Linemen and backs in the tackle box and the tight end in normal splits can block low anywhere any direction.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Halo Rule.

I had a coach just ask about this last Friday. This has not been a football rule at any level for over 5 years I am sure and people still think this rule is in place.

Peace
Does Canadian count as a "level" or two?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

We had a coach inform on Friday that we had screwed up an enforcement, since "there is no longer any such thing as an incidental facemask. They're all 15 now."

We thought he was kidding. He came back during a timeout and said "I'm serious, I wasn't joking. There really is still a 5 yarder?"

Credit where it's due - once we convinced him that it still exists he actually said "OK, I was wrong. Sorry about that."

Then he told us a little bit about what rules changes he would like to see. He wants to see the NCAA BBW rules since "the small fullback has been legislated out of football."
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
I think the committee made it much easier. The only flags that will be picked up is if a wings key goes across the field, while his focus has turned to a ball carrier, and the deep guys didn't know where he came from. Otherwise it is easy. Blocking below the waist is now illegal, with some exceptions. Those exeptions also include a few restrictions on players. essentially, anyone can block low north south or toward their adjacent (outside) sideline. Linemen and backs in the tackle box and the tight end in normal splits can block low anywhere any direction.
The fact that it took you this much to describe the rule proves my point. Any time you have a downfield block that is not north south by a wr will result in a flag unless the blocker is "your guy". Then it will need to be determined where the blocker started to determine if you have a foul. My question is why we need downfield BBW anyway?

Last edited by parepat; Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 06:19pm.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Then he told us a little bit about what rules changes he would like to see. He wants to see the NCAA BBW rules since "the small fullback has been legislated out of football."
That's the one thing Fed rules coaches ask for most at Huey's forum.

Some have pointed out that while the prohibition on BBW following changes of possession was preceded by years of statistics gathering and analysis of injuries, most of the other current Fed restrictions on BBW were not.