The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 11:09am
M.A.S.H.

Officials Medical Form

Does anyone give a sealed crew packet to a game admin that has all your medical information in case something would happen to you?
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

No. Never thought to do anything like that. Then again I do not have any medical issues like that to give anyone.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't do football but I don't do this in baseball. I wouldn't trust them with that information. That being said, you should at least notify your partners about any serious medical issues that you have. I was once doing a game where in the middle of a play my partner "went blank." He couldn't speak and couldn't walk. He just stood there. The trainers rushed on the field and took him off but I had no clue what was wrong nor did they for a bit. Turns out the guy had gone into diabetic shock. He didn't tell me before the game and so the trainers had to figure it out on their own. Luckily, after a while he was OK but it scared the **** out of me and the players/coaches as well.

Last edited by Toadman15241; Thu Aug 11, 2011 at 11:32am. Reason: typo
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 12:09pm
M.A.S.H.

I think it's an interesting idea and a good one.

One of the associations I belong to is starting it this year.

I believe the idea is to have a crew packet sealed with all your information in a #10 security envelope. If something happens, they are instructed to give it to medical personal. After the game, collect the packet from game admin.

I believe they received help from a local hospital on what type of information to include.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I still don't get the need to give it to game admin. Why couldn't you leave it in dressing room and bring it out if something happened? Unless a nuke hit the field it's not like your whole crew is going to be disabled at once.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 08:55am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
I still don't get the need to give it to game admin. Why couldn't you leave it in dressing room and bring it out if something happened? Unless a nuke hit the field it's not like your whole crew is going to be disabled at once.
True. However, at some places they dress you in another state.

Also, most games have medical personal there already so I suppose you'd be saving a little time if something happened.

Like I said this is a new thing and I'm sure there are several things to iron out.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 12:15pm
Chain of Fools

Game admin has Arbiter access and can pull up our personal info such as home address in an emergency. Hopefully the booking agent would be contacted and he has all our info on file.

Given that we can't get the clock operators to report to pre-game nor the chain crews to show up til right before kickoff, I imagine a packet such as that would wind up tossed somewhere into the concession stand next to the nacho cheese dispenser.

I have the ICE # programmed on my phone.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Why not have one of your crew carry it on the field with you. As long as you all know who has it, it should be easy to access if one of you has a problem.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
I don't do football but I don't do this in baseball. I wouldn't trust them with that information. That being said, you should at least notify your partners about any serious medical issues that you have. I was once doing a game where in the middle of a play my partner "went blank." He couldn't speak and couldn't walk. He just stood there. The trainers rushed on the field and took him off but I had no clue what was wrong nor did they for a bit. Turns out the guy had gone into diabetic shock. He didn't tell me before the game and so the trainers had to figure it out on their own. Luckily, after a while he was OK but it scared the **** out of me and the players/coaches as well.
If you still see this guy, I would highly recommend to him that he get one of those medic alert bracelets that tells everyone he is a diabetic. This could potentially save his life if he is somewhere by himself, and he has a similar issue.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

each official on my crew filled out a medical form and gave it to me in a sealed envelope, which I put into a larger envelope. It stays with me and the other guys know where to find it. I see no value in giving it to a 3rd party.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

You could fill out the forms on the computer and save them as a pdf file on a flash drive and carry it in your pocket.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have had such a list for years for my crew. I never gave it to anyone, just made sure the crew was aware of things like allergies to bee stings so we could tell medical personnell if anything happened on the field.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI View Post
You could fill out the forms on the computer and save them as a pdf file on a flash drive and carry it in your pocket.
From a systems engineering perspective, I'm thinking of the simplest way to get important information to the people who need it, and this doesn't qualify.

If it's decided that this kind of information needs to be quickly available in an emergency (and for a lot of people, there's nothing all that particular first responders or even an ER crew would need to know about) I will not want to have to find someone with a laptop, get the computer to recognize the thumbdrive, try to read the monitor through the sunlight glare (try reading a computer screen at noon, ... or even a half hour before sunset), hunt down a *.pdf file and hope that I don't get told that it's time to update Adobe Reader.
If I can pull out a piece of paper, and say "here's Jim's sheet, he says he's got chronic somethingorothertosis, and is allergic to latex and acetominophen" that works much faster.

A medic alert bracelet is even faster than that, and medics are trained to look for those. I may have trouble finding the envelope in my gymbag after poor Jim goes down. Much less likely he'll lose his wrist and bracelet.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Here's what we do

Everyone takes a buisness card and on the back writes pertinent medical information, we laminate the card and everyone carries it in their back left pocket. Everyone on the crew knows that if something happens to tell the paramedics, "check the card in his back left pocket."

One of the guys who used to be on our crew was a sheriff's deputy and when we talked about this issue he once said, "where else to keep important information than on his own body."

Medic-alert would be great, but asside from a latex allergy, we're not sure what to put on them...

PS of course you should include religious preferences, just in case we have to plan your funeral after an IW or soemthing.