The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

kicking game

interesting conversation at last weeks meetin. k1 free kicks first touching by k2 at r's 40, r1 gains control of the ball r2 blocks k3 in the back while r1 fumbles at the 50, k4 recovers fumble, who has possesion and where?
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

K's ball 1st & 10 at the 50 ... R looses the Right to 1st Touching when they fouled after gaining possession of the kick.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
K's ball 1st & 10 at the 50 ... R looses the Right to 1st Touching when they fouled after gaining possession of the kick.
i agree, a few were confused and argued but i wanted to throw it out there. PLUS k would have to accept the penalty(they would be crazy not too!)
if your gonna get confused it will probably be the kicking game.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scisaump View Post
i agree, a few were confused and argued but i wanted to throw it out there. PLUS k would have to accept the penalty(they would be crazy not too!)
if your gonna get confused it will probably be the kicking game.
I believe K would decline R's foul and keep the ball at the recovery spot. If K accepts R's foul for Block in the Back, R would retain possession after enforcement.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
I believe K would decline R's foul and keep the ball at the recovery spot. If K accepts R's foul for Block in the Back, R would retain possession after enforcement.
if k declines that would negate the penalty and 1st touching would be enforced, ....i think??
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scisaump View Post
if k declines that would negate the penalty and 1st touching would be enforced, ....i think??
R’s foul was during the return before R1 lost possession; if K accepts R’s foul, it is enforced from the spot of the foul or the end of the run and R would retain possession. In order for K to keep the ball, they must decline R’s foul.

6-1-6 states two options where R looses the “Right to 1st Touching”
Option 1 …The right of R to take the ball at the spot of first touching by K is canceled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul. This option does not say that K must accept the foul, only that R fouls after touching the kick
Option 2 …if the penalty is accepted for any foul committed during the down.”

6-1-6 . . . If any K player touches a free kick before it crosses R’s free-kick line and before it is touched there by any R player, it is referred to as “first touching of the kick.” R may take the ball at the spot of first touching, or any spot if there is more than one spot of first touching, or they may choose to have the ball put in play as determined by the action which follows first touching. Such touching is ignored if it is caused by R pushing or blocking K into contact with the ball. The right of R to take the ball at the spot of first touching by K is canceled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul or if the penalty is accepted for any foul committed during the down.

Just a point of reference … First Touching of a Free Kick happens when K touches the kick before the ball has traveled beyond R’s free-kick line (the 50 yd line on normal Free Kicks) … Re-check your yard lines in the OP ... 1st Touching at R’s 40 yard line?
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

There is no first touching unless K kicked off at the 50.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: this is a free kick and no first touching, unless within 10 yards. K will likely decline the penalty and take the ball at the 50.