The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics issue.

Here's one that got the seasoned officials arguing on a Saturday morning after our 1st youth ball game. I simply asked this innocent question because our 1st year guys were being told different mechanics by different reps (probably never happens in your association).

As a wingman, when marking forward progress, what's the proper mechanic (assuming that the wing is facing the middle of the field)? Is it one foot advanced (towards the center of the field and closest to the line to gain), or is it two feet together (still with the "marker" foot closest to the line to gain).

What mechanic does your association support?

(I asked the question knowing that I would "stir it up" a bit, then walked to the bench, sat down, and then laughed for a half hour while they argued the merits of each method.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

While it may be helpful to some umpires to see one foot put forward to distinguish it as the spot, this is something that should be confirmed in the pre-game discussion. Ideally, everyone should always be on the same page, so to speak, that the foot that is closer to the line to gain, or the goal line that the team in possession is advancing towards, is the foot that should mark the spot of the ball. In fact, the state mechanics book and materials that I was issued by my association, even went so far as to expressly state "DO NOT put one foot forward...", as it should go without saying (other than a reaffirmation in the pre-game) that the foot towards the line to gain or goal line of the team in possession will mark the spot.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I work HL and was taught to mark the forward progress spot with my "upfield foot," which is the foot closest to the endzone the offense is driving toward. Depending on where the ball is on the field and the situation with the play, I may come into the nine yard marks to help give the U a better spot. This mechanic seems pretty consistent throughout our chapter, but I don't know how it is done elsewhere.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

One foot two foot, red foot blue foot...
It really doesn't matter as long as you and your partner are consistent. We don't want to confuse the Umpire now.
By that I mean, come in until you start encountering players, then stop. Plant that one foot or both feet and always use the same foot for the forward progress point. That should be the foot in the direction of the opponents goal line.
The center of that foot is the forward spot of the ball.

I know guys that as soon as they have the spot marked, they pivot about that spot so they are facing the oponents goal line. Whatever works for you. I have no problem with that.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I request my wingmen to use their foot closest to the line-to-gain as the forward progress spot. Keep both feet together. Verbally acknowledge to the umpire that you have the spot, also, verbally acknowledge if you feel the other wing has the spot.

The umpire must turn and face the wing who's spot he is taking and line up the spot before putting the ball down. This came from experience with an official who had a back problem. This umpire placed the ball while facing the offense. The ball often ended up a yard off the wingman's spot.

The wingman silently indicates minor movements by placing his arm across his body with his hand facing the direction of the line-to-gain. He then uses his hand to indicate which direction to move the ball, if necessary.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

It's unanimous!! WRONG

From these initial responses, I guess the answer might be that it doesn't matter if it's one foot or two as long as the mark is accurate for the U to key off of.

However, it seems to me that a mechanic that is this fundamental ought to be consistent throughout an association if not throughout the officiating community! These are the kind of things that frustrate the new guys (think back to when we were rookies). Each week they are instructed to practice a different mechanic by the individuals they work with. Some officials demean these guys (I don't get this mentality from senior guys, but I see it all the time) if they're not using THEIR mechanic. And, it may be the one or two foot mechanic preferred by the R or U from the previous week.

Not a big deal, just a critque of how we can improve our art!

(There are probably more important things to worry about like world peace, the economy, etc., but we can't agree on them either)
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ed's post

I agree with Ed's post for the most part.

I don't care whether my wingmen use one foot forward or both feet together, I am spotting the ball off of the forward foot.

My wingmen don't usually communicate to me that the other side has the spot, I naturally look for the L because he wants the spot as much as possible. If I look at him and he has pealed off I know my H has the spot. They will never mirror a spot one will always peal off. My wingmen have been together 3 years and they know that the H has responsibilities other than the spot so the L will try to get the spot and allow the H to carry on with his duties.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

My big gripe is U's who seem to place it wherever they feel like it. I tap the leg I'm using (the downfield foot - closest to the line to gain) but just so there is no confusion, I tap it and extend that foot about 3 inches beyond the other. If I'm the HL, I tap the back of it as well for the box man so he knows where I spotted it (on all but 1st down).

I don't like to be too demonstrative if I want the U to move it as I don't want anybody else (my sideline) to catch on that he and I aren't hooking up initially, but if it goes on, I'll try to find a moment to ask him what the hell he's doing.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

It would be nice if everyone did it the same way...

REPLY: Unfortunately, many local associations (mine included) don't have the luxury of having observers evaluate and enforce uniform mechanics. As a result, many crews depart from approved techniques.

Our crew pretty much follows the technique described by Ed. While we do move the downfield foot (closest the LTG) slightly forward, the important thing is that it's always the downfield foot. If I (L) don't have the spot because of being screened out, I mirror the H's spot but I stand with my feet apart to indicate to the U that he should take the spot from the H. If I clearly have the spot, I will tell the U as much. And if the LTG is threatened, I'll come in as far as I can to the dead ball spot without going around or climbing over players and ask the U for the ball. Most of the time, any players between you and the ball will clear and allow you to continue coming in to the dead ball spot.

One other thing...if the line to gain is not threatened, please don't come running in hard to sell a spot that really doesn't mean that much. Stay wide, mark the forward progress spot, and keep your head on a swivel to watch dead ball activity in your side zone.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

"Forward Progress"

A redundancy. How can there be backward progress?

Bob
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Plant that one foot or both feet and always use the same foot for the forward progress point. That should be the foot in the direction of the opponents goal line.
The center of that foot is the forward spot of the ball.
Forward point of foot= forward point of ball. That's how we Canucks do it, anyhow.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
My big gripe is U's who seem to place it wherever they feel like it. [...]he and I aren't hooking up initially, but if it goes on, I'll try to find a moment to ask him what the hell he's doing.
HEAR, HEAR!

Umpires that can't spot drive me absolutely NUTS, 'specially since when I LUmp, I'm a stickler for accuracy.