The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Derock,

you would get killed officiating a High School or college game with your game sense tactics.

Were talking NFL here not youth league where maybe(and thats a big maybe)(im calling it in any level game) you let this running into the kicker go. Derock yes most of us officials in here are by the book, which is why they have a rule book. This rule was changed a couple years back im sure you didn't even know that). like I have said before Derock the kicker is aforded the same amount of time after his kick as you would give a Qb after his throw. If you hit him you get a flag. This wasn't a bump, it took the kicker down, wether he acted or not. I was watching the game and as soon as I saw it I said here comes a flag. Sure enough the flag came out. GREAT CALL. Derock for your imformation, hell Derock even the Steelers owner said it was a penalty.

Derock, did you ever play football? im sure if you did you would know you can't dive into a kicker feet.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Was Cowher the only guy besides Blum in the stadium not watching the ball's flight? He wants us to believe he had his eye on the kicker even after the kick left his foot - that's how he got such a good view of the entire play?

Liar.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Striing the pot a little

Yet another article.

http://www.sportscurmudgeon.com/topi...l_refs_ft.html

http://<br /> <a href="http://www.p....asp</a><br />

Can anyone with excellent grammar skills count the number of errors in this column?

[Edited by mikesears on Jan 16th, 2003 at 12:55 PM]
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

maybe DEROCK is Bill Cohwer?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

The NFL game is so fast and fierce i don't believe being full time would have any affect on the the officials performance. Let's face it the NFL officials are highly scrutinized now with the league office and all the weekly performance ratings, and with all the calls being made the percentage of missed calls is quite low. It's a human game being played and officiated by humans, God only made one perfect Human and i don't think he was an official. Go out there prepared with knowledge of the rules and mechanics and HAVE FUN. I Say Part Time is Fine
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

All,

The real question is how does this effect us at the High School level? I think the instant replays and constant "showing -up" of the officals by coaches and TV commentators ultimately undermines all our creditablity.
"If the pro's can never get it right these guys(us)must really be bad!" That's why I cringe everytime I see the red challenge flag. I find myself rooting for no overturn rather than for my team!

Just my two cents.

Refburn
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

All,
here's my two cents...or better yet, here's my penny with a whole in it. Aboselli a.k.a teacher, is that spelled "whole" or "hole"???

Most of you sound like your brain is programmed with football rules. The only problem with being programmed is your brain can only function according to the rules programmed in your brain. In other words, you can't think. A programmed official knows only the rules. A thinking official knows the rules AND the purpose behind the rules. A programmed official calls all rule violations. A thinking official calls all rule violations that effect the game.

I agree that contact (slight) was made and by rule and definition the defender ran into the kicker. Now here is where the thinking comes in...contact was slight, partially caused by Nedney's movement. Nedney does his act to give the appearance of greater contact than initiated. Running into the kicker rule is to protect the kicker (safety) however a kicker may try to take advantage of this rule by trying to draw contact OR pretending to receive contact. As a thinking official, I am going to be looking for both to protect Nedney and to make sure I don't unfairly penalize the defense on a technicality (contact was made) that was not even a safety issue. There was no way Nedney could have been harmed from the contact he received. The reason Nedney fell to the ground is to give the appearance that he could have been seriously hurt but in reality HE WAS PRETENDING therefore his safety was not an issue.

Isn't safety the whole purpose behind this rule? If so, then what sense does it make to call it when safety is not an issue???
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighSchoolWhiteHat

This wasn't a bump, it took the kicker down, wether he acted or not.

Derock, did you ever play football? im sure if you did you would know you can't dive into a kicker feet.
First of all, the kicker took HIMSELF down. There is a difference and you should be able to tell the difference.

Second, Yes I did play football which is why I know the difference from running into a kicker and making contact with the kicker.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

A thinking official knows the rules AND the purpose behind the rules

You've proven time and again, you know neither.

And yes, your spelling, grammar and usage suck, which is a detriment in a forum that is completely written. After someone makes many moronic statements, one must assume that person is indeed a moron.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

What part of YOU CANNOT CONTACT THE KICKER do you not understand. Maybe the coach should be all over his player who had no chance at all of a block and took 2 more steps after the kick was gone. Don't put yourself in that posistion and then there will be a no call.