The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

You guys have got me addicted to this board. I appreciate everyone's insights, opinions, and comments.

Hey, about 12 years ago when I started officiating, the seasoned officials (old guys) always talked about the importance of Rule 11. Without getting Derock all excited about "game sense" , I was wondering if anyone still uses this term.

Rule 11 was intended to remind officials to use common sense in applying the rules and dealing with coaches/players, much like not calling a holding foul when miles away from the play, etc. It was helpful as a new guy to hear about this "rule". I hate to admit it, but the first time I heard it, I actually tried to find it in the rule book. It really helped imbed the common sense approach to officiating in one young official's mind.

Anyway, interested to know if this was an association thing or rampant through the officiating community.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Game sense? What a concept!
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Clarification

Derock,

I said common sense, AFTER THE OFFICIAL HAS A FIRM KNOWLEDGE OF THE RULES AND SOME EXPERIENCE.

I would contend that this is different than the "game sense" that you have promoted and posted in the past.

Big Difference to me. One assumes rule knowlege complemented by common sense (RULE 11), the other proposes to use only common or game sense. The problem with game sense alone is that it is arbitrary (based on each individual's view).

D, let's let this sleeping dog lie. I'm more interested in whether other officials have ever heard of this concept and its value.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Jon Bible wrote an article about making calls based upon advantage which is like Rule 11. Other officials say call the obvious and the dangerous.

The principle is make calls that affect the game or present a danger to a player.

There was an umpire who once flagged the quarterback for failure to wear equipment (mouthpiece) during a play. The play was a thirty yard run from scrimmage. The next morning the coach complained in the newspaper about the refs taking the game away from them with 200 plus yards of penalties. This play cost them net 45 yards (the coach did not know how to compute penalty yardage).

The umpire had the quarterback in view before the snap. Why not make the call then? Why flag the QB after the play starts because the mouthpiece could have fallen out?

Bottom line, use your brain and think about your call.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

The principle is make calls that affect the game or present a danger to a player.

Bottom line, use your brain and think about your call.
Game sense!

Also, game sense IS common sense and it gets better with experience.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

In most cases.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

"Jon Bible wrote an article about making calls based upon advantage which is like Rule 11. Other officials say call the obvious and the dangerous."

I've never heard of Rule 11, and I'm not even sure where I heard the term that I use..... "Unfair Advantage", but it sure works. The obvious.... maybe.... If the obvious is 30 yards from the play, and it has no effect on the play, I still may not call a hold, unless it's done in an unsportsman like manner.... which could be interpreted as dangerous.

I generally officiate as a linesman, on a 4 man crew, covering down field passes. "Unfair Advantage" works real well with PI. Both players have a right to attempt to catch a pass thrown.... If either player takes an unfair advantage over the other, (holding, pushing, etc.), I have a PI.