LG - #66
C - #56
RG - #65
RT - # 75
TE - # 83
SE - # 87

Suppose I have the following formation on the line:

LT LG C RT RG TE SE

Could the LT shift from his spot to beside the TE without penalty so the formation would look like this?

LG C RT RG TE LT SE

I believe he could according to the rulebook unless I am missing something.

But the TE in the original formation would NOT be allowed to shift?

Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Seems OK

Mike,

Good question. According to NFHS, I didn't see anything that would prohibit the TE from shifting (unless he had already set which would limit him from picking up and moving since by position he is an offensive lineman vs. an end).

I picture this as the A offensive line coming up to the line and not setting. Then, moving to new positions on the line, possibly unbalanced, to confuse B. Seems legal to me as I see nothing in the book that limits movement of the A line unless they are already set or feign the snap.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

It is a false start if any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of his line, after having placed his hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his hand(s) or makes any quick movement.

If he's shifting, he's got to take his hand(s) with him. If the man on the end backs up and establishes himself as a back, he can now shift, but as long as he's covered, he's got to stay put once he puts his hand in the dirt.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't read it that the players had their hands on or near the ground! If so, I agree (and in fact I think I mentioned that in my post).

But if they just meandered up to the line and stood there, do you see any problem with the movement to a new position if they didn't have their hands on or near the ground?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

No, I guess not. I assumed that they were set. (Assumption makes an *** of U and Umption). Once that hands in the dirt, there it stays, but if they are just lollygagging in these spots and then get serious after their shift, that's fine.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

I should have been more specific. I meant that they lined up and put their hand(s) at or near the ground and then they want to shift. Who is entitled to shift?

The way I read the rule is that anyone on the end of the line (regardless of jersey number) can shift. Anyone else MUST stay put. Am I reading this correctly?

Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

I believe this to be correct.

An interesting twist that I hadn't thought about and that we probably won't see because of the time it takes to execute. What if after your shift, the SE on the end of the line shifts to the other side of the line? Sounds legal to me as long as everyone comes to rest for 1 second before the snap. Just don't think that most teams would execute well. Mostly theoretical.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

That would be a legal shift as well and would uncover and make #83 eligible.