The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

K has the ball 4th and 6 at the 50. While K1's punt is in the air, R1 blocks K2 below the waist at the R20. R3 catches the kick and starts upfield at his 10. He is hit almost immediately and fumbles the ball. It is picked up by K4 who proceeds to take it to the house. K5 blocks R5 in the back in the end zone during K4's run to glory. R5 then kicks K5 right in the nads. K6 then punches R5 in the head and calls him a bad name.

What down, where, what are the choices, how did these young men get to be such bad sports?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, you really come up with some dooozies

Here's my take on this.

When K picked up that fumble, he got the ball with "clean hands". Therefore he can keep the football, if they decline that block below the waist by R1. Now, he then proceeds to take it to the house. I assume that means he took it to the endzone for the score. Which means the end of the run was the endzone. K5's block in the back will now be penalized from the goaline. The result of all that is that K will have the ball 1st and goal at the 10.

But wait!!! R5 kicked K5 in the nads. That will be a Unsportsmanlike penalty which will move it half the distance to the 5 yard line. R5 is also ejected.

Then K6 puches R5 in the head. Another Unsportsmanlike penalty. This time we get all 15 yards. Moving it back to the 20 yard line. K6 is also ejected.

And when the smoke clears it shall be 1st and 10 for K at the 20 yardline.

Nice play!!!

Doc
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy It's poor parenting, no doubt.

These kids have grown up in front of prime time television. Or worse yet- sitting in front of a damn computer!
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I agree with both assessments
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Okay, you really come up with some dooozies

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMooreReferee
Here's my take on this.

When K picked up that fumble, he got the ball with "clean hands". Therefore he can keep the football, if they decline that block below the waist by R1. Now, he then proceeds to take it to the house. I assume that means he took it to the endzone for the score. Which means the end of the run was the endzone. K5's block in the back will now be penalized from the goaline. The result of all that is that K will have the ball 1st and goal at the 10.

But wait!!! R5 kicked K5 in the nads. That will be a Unsportsmanlike penalty which will move it half the distance to the 5 yard line. R5 is also ejected.

Then K6 puches R5 in the head. Another Unsportsmanlike penalty. This time we get all 15 yards. Moving it back to the 20 yard line. K6 is also ejected.
Could you ALSO penalize the profanity as U.C for an additional 15 yards?

Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Nah

I personally would not do that.

I would just remove him from the field as soon as possible.

Ejecting a player or coach is about the most dramtic thing an official does. Adding another 15 yards in this scenario would be overdoing it a bit.

Doc
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Nah

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMooreReferee
I personally would not do that.

I would just remove him from the field as soon as possible.

Ejecting a player or coach is about the most dramtic thing an official does. Adding another 15 yards in this scenario would be overdoing it a bit.

Doc
Not saying I would do this, just something to think about in addition to everything else that happened in the play
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

you can't add another 15 yards for the profanity, you have usc on the punch thrown and the porfanity. its 1 penalty. you don't throw a flag for each punch do you? at least this is how I would handle it.
to me its all 1 penalty usc with an ejecting
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighSchoolWhiteHat
you can't add another 15 yards for the profanity, you have usc on the punch thrown and the porfanity. its 1 penalty. you don't throw a flag for each punch do you? at least this is how I would handle it.
to me its all 1 penalty usc with an ejecting
Again, I would NEVER penalize both.

But here is my reasoning. By definition, fighting is ONE act (even if more than a single punch is thrown) and is called Illegal Personal Contact (9-4-1). By definition, swearing at an opponent is a different act. It is penalized as Unsportsmanlike Conduct (9-5-1b).

U.C. is a non-contact foul.