Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBob72 View Post
The play is over when the official blows the whistle
I guess those coaches who teach to play to the whistle are right after all.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I guess those coaches who teach to play to the whistle are right after all.
LOL I also said when the runner is down. Our association preaches slow whistles, with good reason. Make sure the ball isn't loose, no inadvertant whistles and things like that. Well, had a case where the runner was down on two knees. After making sure he has the ball still, as I'm bringing the whistle up to kill the play, the ball carrier gets blasted. Of course, I got to hear a bunch of complaints that the whistle hadn't blown yet. Of course I was very patient when I explained that the runner is down when he is down, not when the whistle is blown.

However, when that whistle blows with him in the grasp, then the play is over on the whistle.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RedCashions
IMHO One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is why does the Umpire go to the bench to explain the call!? I don't see that he is in any position to provide any insight on the "judgement" used. Guess when in doubt, send your largest crew member over to subliminally intiminate the coach. It's also intersting the official who ran in 12 steps to mark the ball on the 2 blew off Coach Tressel inquiry as to what went on. You would think he would know waht happened.

Last edited by RedCashions; Fri Jan 07, 2011 at 06:28pm.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCashions View Post
IMHO One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is why does the Umpire go to the bench to explain the call!? I don't see that he is in any position to provide any insight on the "judgement" used. Guess when in doubt, send your largest crew member over to subliminally intiminate the coach. It's also intersting the official who ran in 12 steps to mark the ball on the 2 blew off Coach Tressel inquiry as to what went on. You would think he would know waht happened.
On a safety he is on the sideline and probably like most times a coach is asking him what happen and he is telling them what happened. Coaches have no idea most of the time who is the covering official, they ask anyone that is in a striped shirt. The Umpire I am sure knew of the conversation and was relaying what he knew. And if I am not mistaken the OSU side was the chain side where the Umpire would be located by mechanic on the ensuing kickoff.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
On a safety he is on the sideline and probably like most times a coach is asking him what happen and he is telling them what happened. Coaches have no idea most of the time who is the covering official, they ask anyone that is in a striped shirt. The Umpire I am sure knew of the conversation and was relaying what he knew. And if I am not mistaken the OSU side was the chain side where the Umpire would be located by mechanic on the ensuing kickoff.

Peace
I am vey aware of the kick-off mechanics. I still think it is funny he happened to be the largest guy on the crew and twice the size of Tressel. I would think that in a situation as critical as this, the white hat could have found it iin his heart to visit with the coach; since it was he who confered with the covering official and not the umpire. Even more strange was the lack of communication from the linesman. But every crew has its way of working things out. And the bottom line is that it WAS a judgement call.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am vey aware of the kick-off mechanics. I still think it is funny he happened to be the largest guy on the crew and twice the size of Tressel. I would think that in a situation as critical as this, the white hat could have found it iin his heart to visit with the coach; since it was he who confered with the covering official and not the umpire. Even more strange was the lack of communication from the linesman. But every crew has its way of working things out. And the bottom line is that it WAS a judgement call.
My point was I think he was the guy that happened to be talking to Tressel when the camera showed the sideline. I do not think it was any more than that as he seemed to be over there. I know it is not uncommon to be asked questions even when you are not the person that had anything to do with the play at hand. Probably the reason no one mentioned it is because it was not as big of a deal as you are making it (size and all).

Peace
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My point was I think he was the guy that happened to be talking to Tressel when the camera showed the sideline. I do not think it was any more than that as he seemed to be over there. I know it is not uncommon to be asked questions even when you are not the person that had anything to do with the play at hand. Probably the reason no one mentioned it is because it was not as big of a deal as you are making it (size and all).

Peace
Uh not sure I was making it a "big....deal". Sorry I violated any of the discussion boards guidelines.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2011, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Uh not sure I was making it a "big....deal". Sorry I violated any of the discussion boards guidelines.
You do not have to be oversensitive about the issue, you did not violate any guideline. But you did seem to make it seem like it was very unusual for an Umpire on an ensuing free kick is not every going to talk to a coach. Remember you said they sent him over there but he would have been over there anyway.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

One of the cool things about these sites is that we can argue our opinions. Rarely do we get an "answer" to our arguments. In this case we do. Rogers Redding, national director of officiating of college football included this play in one of the CFO videos and stated that "progress was stopped and this play should have been shut down". Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Which one of the videos was it in?
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

I think it was "forward progress" or somethin similar to that.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I see 14 chapters to the videos but nothing like that (fwd progress). Browsed through some of the others and did not see this play.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Video is listed as "Fumbles". When you open it the title is Fumbles/Progress. Last play on the video.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks!!