The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:26pm
M.A.S.H.

N. Carolina/Tennessee

Wow.... very interesting end to regulation.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes very crazy...just curious in the NFL dont they have a runoff on a off penalty under the 2 min warning?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not an NCAA football official, but why wasn't the illegal participation penalty a 15-yard penalty? That clearly wasn't substitution, but was participation. Or that's sure what it looked like.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

That was bananas. I think the crew handled it well, though.

I also thought it was a good no-call on the previous play. The announcers were pining for a late hit, but, to me, it looked like the defender was blocked into the receiver.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
I also thought it was a good no-call on the previous play. The announcers were pining for a late hit, but, to me, it looked like the defender was blocked into the receiver.
Agreed, good no call. I'm a Carolina fan but also a Vol fan from living in Tennessee for 8 years. Great game!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 11:02am.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld View Post
I'm not an NCAA football official, but why wasn't the illegal participation penalty a 15-yard penalty? That clearly wasn't substitution, but was participation. Or that's sure what it looked like.
No player in excess of 11 shall leave the field of play while the ball is live. This is a live ball foul for illegal SUBSTITUTION. They would actually have to participate in the play to be flagged for participation.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
No player in excess of 11 shall leave the field of play while the ball is live. This is a live ball foul for illegal SUBSTITUTION. They would actually have to participate in the play to be flagged for participation.
There were 12 players still in the formation after all of the other players were leaving the field when the ball was spiked.

Illegal participation trumps illegal substitution. The FG attempt was from 10 yards closer than it should have been.

Anyone who thinks that crew/replay booth did a good job at the end of the game is mistaken big-time.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 12:02am.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

What about the throat slash by the Tennessee quarterback after the touchdown in the first overtime? Is that indicative of a lack of control by the coach?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

One more aspect I have not seen addressed (I am a NFHS official only), but is there not a rule concerning substitutions that when A attempts to sub, that they must be held up until B has a chance to counter the sub. Perhaps that is waived in the final two minutes or something like that.

NC coaching staff got away with a serious blunder by sending in the FG unit on 3rd down and creating the confusion. They would have easily been able to spike the ball had just the same players stayed in the game.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
There were 12 players still in the formation after all of the other players were leaving the field when the ball was spiked.

Illegal participation trumps illegal substitution. The FG attempt was from 10 yards closer than it should have been.

Anyone who thinks that crew/replay booth did a good job at the end of the game is mistaken big-time.
Can you post a copy of the video. I didn't see 12 players participating. I was just posting the rule regarding the players departing the field at the snap is a live ball sub. foul. If in fact 12 players were in the formation then that would be a participation foul.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Can you post a copy of the video. I didn't see 12 players participating. I was just posting the rule regarding the players departing the field at the snap is a live ball sub. foul. If in fact 12 players were in the formation then that would be a participation foul.
I don't have a way to post video. I will try to post images from the espn3 stream.

I counted only 11 at first excluding the players leaving because there was a holder with no kicker. The kicker was just out of frame even on widescreen 4 yards behind the holder. When the picture pulls back after the spike then you can see 12 players still on the field.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 12:48am.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

There were 12 in the formation but were they really "participating" in the play when all the play was was a spike?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
There were 12 in the formation but were they really "participating" in the play when all the play was was a spike?
If they were lined up, they participated. Doesn't matter what type of play was run.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

I just checked the highlight in HD and there were definitely 12 players in the formation!

I am guessing this should have been a 49 FG attempt instead of a 39 yard attempt.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

I just made a screen capture with the ball still in the QB's hands....12 UNC players between the numbers. No doubt it was illegal participation.

6 players in 3-point stance on the line and a wideout on the left side on the line to make 7 on the line of scrimmage.
Another wideout off the line on the left and a slot on the right. QB under center with the holder and kicker deep...5 in the backfield makes 12....this isn't the CFL or CIAU.

Wish I had a way to post the screencap.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 01:36am.