The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
One man should not be both the officials coordinator for a conference (Big Ten) and the NCAA officials coordinator at the same time. That is biased on its face when he speaks as the NCAA cooordinator but is defending his Big Ten crews as the conference coordinator without properly reviewing plays in question.
Well this statement shows just how educated you are. Kind of invalidates everything else. Parry is NOT the Big Ten coordinator
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Well this statement shows just how educated you are. Kind of invalidates everything else. Parry is NOT the Big Ten coordinator
Nothing I posted is invalidated, except that Parry was the Big Ten coordinator for 19 years until far too recently. Parry's Big Ten bias shows through clearly today.

I have no stake in either UNC or Tennessee, but college football suffered two big black eyes yesterday from incorrect and inconsistent Big Ten officiating. That fact remains no matter how much sugar-coating gets applied.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 06:24pm.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

The game will survive just fine. Things far worse than a possible missed call or in 2 inconsequential bowl games have happened and the game has gone on.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The game will survive just fine. Things far worse than a possible missed call or in 2 inconsequential bowl games have happened and the game has gone on.
Too many recent rules changes have been enacted to the detriment of the sport as result of "missed calls" in "inconsequential" games.

If changes need to be made (and they do) they need to be the right changes and not changes just because of the way the NFL does it.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Too many recent rules changes have been enacted to the detriment of the sport as result of "missed calls" in "inconsequential" games.
Examples?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Examples?
Restarting the game clock after out-of-bounds plays on the ready for play all the way down to the 2:00 mark in each half. Under current rules the clock is restarted and runs even if the OOB play was at 2:01 on the clock.

The OOB restart has always been the CFL rule even before the NFL adopted it. But as has been shown, too many plays have been taken out of college football games using this "speed-up" rule. But to counter that, using CFL rules there would be a 3:00 warning at the end of the first play with less than 3:00 left. Then the clock stop and reduced play clock rules would be in effect.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Restarting the game clock after out-of-bounds plays on the ready for play all the way down to the 2:00 mark in each half. Under current rules the clock is restarted and runs even if the OOB play was at 2:01 on the clock.

The OOB restart has always been the CFL rule even before the NFL adopted it. But as has been shown, too many plays have been taken out of college football games using this "speed-up" rule. But to counter that, using CFL rules there would be a 3:00 warning at the end of the first play with less than 3:00 left. Then the clock stop and reduced play clock rules would be in effect.
What missed call in what inconsequential game caused this change?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What missed call in what inconsequential game caused this change?
Television was the driving force for this change, but it also impacts non-televised games as well. Total plays have been reduced by about 10% due to the short-sightedness of the rules committee in bowing to television so it can squeeze more commericial minutes into games.

Some of the changes were also brought about due to the complete inconsistency in starting the play clock under the old 25-second rule. The 40/25 system is an improvement, but I believe 35/20 would be even better. I remember watching an SEC game under the old rule, and a team got a first down with 2:09 left and the defense had no timeouts left...the offense never even had to run the 3rd down play.

Last night's "missed call in what inconsequential game" is already generating calls for the stupid 10-second runoff that doesn't even belong in the NFL. That is what I want to prevent.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Fri Dec 31, 2010 at 07:28pm.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Television was the driving force for this change, but it also impacts non-televised games as well. Total plays have been reduced by about 10% due to the short-sightedness of the rules committee in bowing to television so it can squeeze more commericial minutes into games.

Some of the changes were also brought about due to the complete inconsistency in starting the play clock under the old 25-second rule. The 40/25 system is an improvement, but I believe 35/20 would be even better. I remember watching an SEC game under the old rule, and a team got a first down with 2:09 left and the defense had no timeouts left...the offense never even had to run the 3rd down play.

Last night's "missed call in what inconsequential game" is already generating calls for the stupid 10-second runoff that doesn't even belong in the NFL. That is what I want to prevent.
No reason to panic and change rules over 1 play. How often do we see situations like last night?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Many of us have talked about plays just like this in hypothetical terms for several years. We knew there would be a day when it would happen, and it did. It happened in an inconsequential game but that does not mean it could not happen in the BCS Championship game. (And now that coaches have seen it play out in technicolor you know they are hard at work figuring out how to exploit this for themselves in the future)
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4) Delay of game in the last three minutes should be loss of down on 1st-3rd downs and a 10-yard penalty on 4th down with the clock starting at the snap.
That makes no sense. There is no down to not be replayed as the down never started. I guess you just want to completely skip a down because of a foul.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2011, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It happened in an inconsequential game but that does not mean it could not happen in the BCS Championship game
I think that's an oxymoron.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 01, 2011, 05:27am
In Time Out

Quote:

Calm down, Sling Blade. Word on the street is they're going back to one platoon football so a situation like this will never arise again.

Are you happy now? See what you started?
Old Sat Jan 01, 2011, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
That makes no sense. There is no down to not be replayed as the down never started. I guess you just want to completely skip a down because of a foul.
That's exactly how the CFL calls it in "stop time" in the last 3:00 of each half. The right to run the play is lost when the ball isn't snapped in time.

A team shouldn't be rewarded for running time off the clock at the end of a half or game, take a delay penalty, and then still get to run the play over again.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 05:37pm.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2011, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Many of us have talked about plays just like this in hypothetical terms for several years. We knew there would be a day when it would happen, and it did. It happened in an inconsequential game but that does not mean it could not happen in the BCS Championship game. (And now that coaches have seen it play out in technicolor you know they are hard at work figuring out how to exploit this for themselves in the future)
Doesn't matter what game it happened in. The rules in place would have handled the situation properly if they had been enforced properly. If the North Carolina kicker can make it from 49 instead of 39, they still play OT.

But why should players and officials but put into frantic end-half and end-game situations where mistakes from both groups are inevitable? The rules should keep end-half and end-game situations orderly. CFL timing rules do that. NCAA and NFL timing rules do not.

Last edited by RealityCheck; Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 05:48pm.