The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm a resident on the basketball side of this board. I know some of my hoop brethren also officiate football, but I decided to bring this question over here.

I attended the UMass/Maine football game this past weekend. It was a great game and I thought the officiating was excellent (I'm not just sucking up to you guys, either ). But I had a question on a pass play that I'd just like some clarification on. Obviously, this pertains to NCAA rules.

On this pass play the UMass wide receiver ran his pattern and was definitely beyond 5 yards from the line of scrimmage (I don't even know if that matters or not). While the ball was clearly in the air from the QB, the Maine defender pulled on the receiver's jersey. The pass was incomplete.

The official threw a flag and the penalty was called as defensive holding. I thought that if the ball was already in the air, that this would be considered pass interference.

Can someone explain the difference in this case between the two calls? And also is the difference in enforcement only a matter of 5 yards? (10 yards and 1st down for PI, only 5 yards and 1st down for holding?) Thanks,

Chuck
Old Tue Oct 15, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I've been out of NCAA ball for a couple of years but let me take a stab at it.

Part of the requirements for PI would be a catchable pass. If the side official rules that the pass was uncatchable then defensive holding would be the call. BTW, this would be PI in NF.

The penalty for DPI is the spot foul if the foul occured within 15 yards of the previous spot, otherwise, 15 yards from the previous spot and either way, automatic first down.

The penalty for holding is 10 yards. Since this was a loose ball play (pass) the enforcement spot is the previous spot (where ball was snapped). I believe this is also an automatic first down.

I'm sure those that work in TX or MA OR NCAA will "correct" any errors I've made.