The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to mulligan23
I had an instance in an 8th grade game where I disagreed with the Referee, and the Umpire.

Situation: Ball spotted on the 50 yard line, Team A (offense) runs the ball to about the 15 yard line, on the way down the field a block in the back was called by the umpire the covering official at the 20. I assumed the block in the back would be penalized from the 20 back 10 yars, and then the result would still be a first down? Am I incorrect, as the penalty was administered from the 50 and took the team back to their 40 yard line. I read my books, and feel that I was correct, should penalize from the spot of the foul.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

whoops. They messed up. After you had the enforcement did you have an USC penalty for the coach and staff going nuts over the bad enforcement spot?

Why would a run go back to the previous spot and enforce?

Think they need a refresher in all but one!
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Block in the back (NF) is enforced from the spot of the foul in all cases. I'm assuming that your Junior High games follows NF rules.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Assuming NF rules, you are correct!

Under National Federation rules, this was a foul by A behind the basic spot. You had a running play that ended at B's 15 yard line. The foul by A occurred at B's 20 yard line. Should have been enforced from there, 10 yards, to B's 30 yard line. If A then was beyond the line to gain they should have been awarded a first down. If not beyond the line to gain repeat the down after enforcement (from B's 20) of A's penalty.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snrmike
Block in the back (NF) is enforced from the spot of the foul in all cases. I'm assuming that your Junior High games follows NF rules.
Not true. If the foul occurred beyond the end of the run, the walk off would be from the end of the run, not the spot of the foul.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2002, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

...and this is why I subscribe to this board. I learn something useful every day!!!!

Thanks dude. I hastily assumed that in every situation, the foul would have occurred behind the end of the run.