The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Chiefs/Texans PI

Brandon Flowers got called for pass interference late in the game just now while defending Andre Johnson of the Texans. Johnson clearly pushed off just prior to catching the pass and Flowers didn't touch him, but was called for PI. The replays showed this as well. How does the official in the back who threw the flag miss something so obvious even though those two players are all he has to watch on the play? Did anyone else see it?
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a huge chiefs fan so of course I watched. I think sometimes officials are so caught up on calling the interference on the defense.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

For whatever reason we need more contact from the offense than the defense in football and basketball for a foul/penalty. It isn't right but is seems like that is the way we call it. Thoughts?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
For whatever reason we need more contact from the offense than the defense in football and basketball for a foul/penalty. It isn't right but is seems like that is the way we call it. Thoughts?
I didn't see the play, so can't comment on the call. But this comment seems consistent with how NFL officials enforce PI: the NFL wants scoring, because most fans like offense. So the rules and enforcement favors the offense. :shrug:

When they hire me, I'll enforce it that way.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I saw it, and it was DPI all the way. If you get a chance to watch again, watch the defender's feet. He is slightly ahead of Johnson and to the left, then as Johnson starts to pass him, he moves right, getting directly in Johnson's path - THAT is where the DPI happened (and no, he wasn't looking back yet). Johnson's push did look bad, but he was merely fending off a player that moved into his way.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I saw it, and it was DPI all the way. If you get a chance to watch again, watch the defender's feet. He is slightly ahead of Johnson and to the left, then as Johnson starts to pass him, he moves right, getting directly in Johnson's path - THAT is where the DPI happened (and no, he wasn't looking back yet). Johnson's push did look bad, but he was merely fending off a player that moved into his way.
VIDEO: Pass Interference Call On CB Brandon Flowers - Arrowhead Pride

There is the video of it. You're kidding, right? If DPI was called this way every time in the NFL, they would spend the entire game marking off PI penalties and defensive units would have no chance to stop anyone. They were running stride for stride and Johnson pushed him off to get separation. I don't know how you could see anything else in that video.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'll admit this video looks less like DPI than I thought when watching live. But it sure doesn't like like OPI to me either. The defender cant get in front of the receiver and slow down - which is what he did. The "pushoff" looks like a Vlade Divacs flop to me... minimal contact, overreaction on defense.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 02:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

B24 comes up with a possible arm bar across A80 but it is hard to tell how much restriction if any is there. I am curious to hear which category the calling official put this DPI in. The only one I could see is an arm bar.

From this angle there is a strong argument for either a no call or OPI.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Assuming there should have been a no-call (which I believe), didn't Johnson catch the ball with 2-feet inbounds anyway.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Assuming there should have been a no-call (which I believe), didn't Johnson catch the ball with 2-feet inbounds anyway.
Yes, the DPI was declined.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that #24 puts his arm out. My guess is that is what the official is calling. Not sure I can tell from this one angle how much restriction there was, but when a defender puts his arm out like that it will certainly draw more attention to himself. I would have a no call on this, but I have been wrong before.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
VIDEO: Pass Interference Call On CB Brandon Flowers - Arrowhead Pride

There is the video of it. You're kidding, right? If DPI was called this way every time in the NFL, they would spend the entire game marking off PI penalties and defensive units would have no chance to stop anyone. They were running stride for stride and Johnson pushed him off to get separation. I don't know how you could see anything else in that video.
How about finding us a video with the exact same angle that the official had on the play?

Until you can look at it from the same angle he did, please don't whine.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
How about finding us a video with the exact same angle that the official had on the play?

Until you can look at it from the same angle he did, please don't whine.
Rather unnecessary considering the video in this thread shows there was no contact.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Rather unnecessary considering the video in this thread shows there was no contact.
The video link you provided definitely showed contact. From the angle provided I would of had a no call but like BktBallRef said, I'd like to see the angle from the deep wing's perspective.

Anyhow, it's all academic as the penalty was declined with the ball being caught.