The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 10:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

TD callbacks

We had 4 last night. Yes, 4. In a 20-13 game won by the visitors. None of these series then resulted in points.

(1) Takedown hold by the RG/RT (I can't remember which) at the point of attack. U's flag.
(2) Takedown hold by the center at the point of attack -- this was the last play of the first half and I, of course, had to go over to the sideline to explain why we had to play an untimed down. U's flag.
(3) Weird, weird play where the quarterback, flushed out of the pocket, tried to underhand scoop the ball to a receiver and a very athletic lineman picked it off and took it about 70 yards for a score -- there were 3 separate illegal blocks in the back on the return (thrown by the U, L, and LJ on three separate players). I was trying to not get run over while sprinting to the goal line.
(4) Grab and restrict by a receiver on a TD in the fourth quarter -- the kid that scored went by the official and said, "9 held, right? I could see it as I went past him"

When we left the field, somebody asked us if we did the Packers game last week.
Amazingly, the home team (who took 3 of the 4 penalties) didn't argue much, if at all. And they *still* had time to tie the game at the end and ended up losing the ball with about 1:30 left on a fumbled snap.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Rich, i feel your pain...we didn't have that many BUT...second play from scrimmage last night A QB makes an awesome dive fake, rides the kid into the line then pulls it out as FB gets tackled, pitches it to the RB who goes 60 yards around the left side for an apparent TD.... HL has an inadvertant whistle. We had just pregamed. "If you do not see the ball do NOT blow the whistle. a slow whistle is better than a quick whistle. this is a good option team see the ball"...etc..
A heard the whistle, a few B players did as well, and of course B coach screams "there's a whislte" So, I look back and the HL is standing at the spot where he blew it dead near the LOS shaking his red faced head.
I go over and explain this to A's coach, who is less than happy. Says something like "HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN, THIS IS HIGH SChOOL FOOTBALL!"
I kept my answer to myself, we replay the down and life goes on...
As it turns out A drives down scores again and ends up winning anyway by 40points.
I told the HL its a good thing I don't drink or he would have gone broke! he owes me a steak dinner though...AH I love Friday nightts

disadvantage of working mixed crews...an R never really knows what he is going to get from game to game..
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Flagfest

Last night was one of our better games this year. 3-2 @ 4-0.
I R and according to our crew my flag earns frequent flyer miles. I only had 3 flags last night, 1 false start by a running back, 1 horsecollar against the QB on a roll out play, and 1 USC on our first punt for taunting after the play was over. First half was pretty clean, 7-0 and only 4 flags, 3 of mine and another false start.

Second half different story, 3 plays in a row my U had a hold, a trip and then a failure to wear equipment. But the series I really want to write about goes...

4th and forever K punts. During the return I catch BJ and HL both throw a flag at about the same spot (I am already thinking block in the back), returns for a touchdown, I get to HL first and He's got K for an unnecessary roughness (slapped his blockers head and then pile drived him), assuming BJ has something similar he comes in, but he's got R (the R player previously piledrived) with a 15 yard face mask penalty during the kick. No clean hands, loose ball fouls, reset do it all over again.

Second punt attempt, BJ has an IP flag just after the snap, and then U flags a hold, return for a touchdown, reset do it all over gain. (I'm tired of running to the goal line)

Third punt, Return to the 3, but LJ has a block in the back back at the 40, so finally R gets the ball at midfield.

When all was said and done, second half 17 flags 13 of them against the visiting team which ended up winning 20-0. Walking off the field our exit was off the visiting team's sideline and the visiting coach is "looking for me" and I couldn't avoid him, he said, "I just want you to know our kids aren't a bunch of thugs, I don't know why we committed so many penalites tonight?"
As we left the field one of the visiting fans was screaming, "Quite a flagfest, blue." (because football officials often wear blue).
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Last night was one of our better games this year. 3-2 @ 4-0.
I R and according to our crew my flag earns frequent flyer miles. I only had 3 flags last night, 1 false start by a running back, 1 horsecollar against the QB on a roll out play,
WOW, that's stunning. I've never seen the ballcarrier horsecollar someone. Dang!

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

My crew only remembers 3 callbacks. Could be, now that I think of it. The one hold didn't call back a TD, just a long gain through the hole opened up by it.

The untimed down caused a bit of consternation on the part of the home head coach, who couldn't wrap his brain around the idea that the team that fouled was going to get another shot at it.

However, one positive thing that came out of this was that the line judge -- a 5th year official who has worked really hard to improve all aspects of his game -- explained this very clearly to the coach and I pretty much was called over just to use my "magic hat" to confirm what the line judge said. It's always nice when a wing can confidently give credible information to a head coach.