The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   One Point Safety (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59134-one-point-safety.html)

bkdow Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:04pm

One Point Safety

We got into a discussion on our last varsity game drive. Would you ever call a 1 point safety? If so, what are the circumstances (I know them). More importantly, would you have the kahoonas to call it in varsity game?

mbyron Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:11pm

I would call a 1-point safety if one occurred, yes. Wouldn't take either kahoonas or cajones.

A 1-point safety occurs during a try when A forces the ball 97 yards back into their own endzone and the ball becomes dead there.

No, it isn't likely.

cmathews Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20pm

hmmmmm how about

A3 fumbles the ball at the one while running to the ez B55 then bats the grounded fumble into his EZ where B 65 recovers the ball. Score 1 pt for A for the safety.

GoodwillRef Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28pm

You going to rule that he batted the ball and it just didn't squirt out when he was trying to recover it? Why do people keep discussing plays that WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN! We have so many plays that we get wrong that happen 5 times a game but officials stay up late at night watching infomercials about Shamwow thinking about plays that will never happen in a million, trillion, gazillion years. WHY?

mbyron Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews (Post 693382)
A3 fumbles the ball at the one while running to the ez B55 then bats the grounded fumble into his EZ where B 65 recovers the ball. Score 1 pt for A for the safety.

OK, as long as you're still talking about a try, that's slightly more likely than my scenario. Good point.

mbyron Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 693386)
You going to rule that he batted the ball and it just didn't squirt out when he was trying to recover it?

A muff of a grounded fumble can also impart a new force, so the result would be the same.

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 22, 2010 01:14pm

Quote:

You going to rule that he batted the ball and it just didn't squirt out when he was trying to recover it? Why do people keep discussing plays that WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN! We have so many plays that we get wrong that happen 5 times a game but officials stay up late at night watching infomercials about Shamwow thinking about plays that will never happen in a million, trillion, gazillion years. WHY?

Never? Ask Texas A&M. a 1-point safety happened to them just last year.

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 22, 2010 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 693388)
A muff of a grounded fumble can also impart a new force, so the result would be the same.

A much more likely possibility, albeit NCAA only, is an interception on a try (out of the EZ or brought out of the EZ) where the intercepting team somehow puts the ball in their own EZ (in any number of ways).

bkdow Wed Sep 22, 2010 01:41pm

I've had it almost happen and our league president has had it happen. It's also in the case book.

tomes1978 Wed Sep 22, 2010 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 693380)
I would call a 1-point safety if one occurred, yes. Wouldn't take either kahoonas or cajones.

A 1-point safety occurs during a try when A forces the ball 97 yards back into their own endzone and the ball becomes dead there.

No, it isn't likely.

It's only a saftey by B (8-3-3), not A. So this would not be a one point safety.

BktBallRef Wed Sep 22, 2010 03:34pm

Quote:

That's a very narrow minded approach.

If it's in the rule book, rest assured, it has happened. That's why it's in there.

With_Two_Flakes Wed Sep 22, 2010 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomes1978 (Post 693430)
It's only a saftey by B (8-3-3), not A. So this would not be a one point safety.

Interesting!

I never picked up on that in the Fed book (the latest I have is the 2007 book). I only work Fed on the occasional visits to the US, we work NCAA over here in Europe.

If it is not a 1pt safety, what would it be then? 2 points? The point values table in 8-1 says safety on a try is 1 pt. It doesn't mention teams, so you could argue that a safety by either would be 1pt.

BktBallRef Wed Sep 22, 2010 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 693380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 693468)
If it is not a 1pt safety, what would it be then? 2 points? The point values table in 8-1 says safety on a try is 1 pt. It doesn't mention teams, so you could argue that a safety by either would be 1pt.

No, you can't.

8-3-3 states that Team A can score 1 point from what would normally be a safety by B.

Under NFHS rules, B cannot score during a try down.

ODJ Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 693402)

DITTO! :eek:

GoodwillRef Thu Sep 23, 2010 05:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 693402)

Okay...you got me, it happen one time! ;)