The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   2 play situations (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59122-2-play-situations.html)

yankeesfan Mon Sep 20, 2010 07:52pm

2 play situations

1st play: 4th down and 10 from team A's own 20, snap goes over the punters head into the endzone where R kicks it out of the endzone. what are the options?

2nd play: 1st and 10 with 15 seconds left quarterback A1 from under center takes a snap and in an attempt to spike it, hits the center in the back of the leg and the ball goes to the ground. what is the call?

BktBallRef Mon Sep 20, 2010 08:15pm

1st Play:
If R unintentionally kicked as he tried to pick it up, it would be a safety.

If R intentionally kicks it out of the end zone, which makes no sense whatsoever, it would be penalized from the previous spot.

2nd Play: Incomplete pass.

yankeesfan Mon Sep 20, 2010 08:31pm

[QUOTE=BktBallRef;693142]1st Play: No options, it's a safety.

even if R kicks it out of the endzone? it wasn't k.

Welpe Mon Sep 20, 2010 08:55pm

For the first play the result of the play is a safety. The penalty will be enforced 15 yards from the previous spot. 1st and 10 for A at the A-35.

gtwbam Mon Sep 20, 2010 09:41pm

1st Play:
Agree with Welpe.
Loose ball play, enforced from previous spot,
1st and 10 for A at A's 35.

2nd Play:
Ruling: Intentional Grounding.
Spike attempt violated the exception provision
in Rule 7-5-2. Clock will start on Ready as attempt
to conserve time was done illegally.

BktBallRef Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38pm

[quote=yankeesfan;693143]
Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 693142)
1st Play: No options, it's a safety.

even if R kicks it out of the endzone? it wasn't k.

Thanks. Didn't catch that. Edited.

yankeesfan Tue Sep 21, 2010 07:47am

2nd Play: Incomplete pass.[/QUOTE]

i agree with the incomplete pass on the 2nd play situation. are there any other views on this?

The Roamin' Umpire Tue Sep 21, 2010 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 693137)
2nd play: 1st and 10 with 15 seconds left quarterback A1 from under center takes a snap and in an attempt to spike it, hits the center in the back of the leg and the ball goes to the ground. what is the call?

Incomplete pass. Anything else here is looking for trouble.

You may be thinking of casebook 7.5.2B here, but in that play, the ball hits the snapper's foot and rebounds into the air, where the QB catches it and spikes it again. The SECOND pass is the one that is illegal, not the first.

ppaltice Tue Sep 21, 2010 08:19am

2nd play is incomplete. The QB has to throw the ball forward to the ground. The rule book does not say that it cannot hit another player in the process of throwing it to the ground. I agree that calling anything else but incomplete is fishing for trouble.

ChickenOfNC Tue Sep 21, 2010 09:04am

Edit: I missed that it was R who kicked the ball.

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 21, 2010 09:04am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 693137)
1st play: 4th down and 10 from team A's own 20, snap goes over the punters head into the endzone where R kicks it out of the endzone. what are the options?

CANADIAN RULING:
  1. Offside Pass. Team A 1D/10 @ Spot of B's kick.
  2. (Assuming ball in passer's hand when the hand hit the centre.) Need to know where the ball went. The point of release and point where the ball hit the ground.

mbyron Tue Sep 21, 2010 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC (Post 693179)
I'm sorry, but how are y'all getting previous spot enforcement on play 1? Foul by A behind the basic spot, spot of the foul enforcment. Foul by A in the end zone results in safety. Am I wrong?

The foul is by R/B, not A.

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 21, 2010 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 693180)
CANADIAN RULING:
  1. Offside Pass. Team A 1D/10 @ Spot of B's kick.
  2. (Assuming ball in passer's hand when the hand hit the centre.) Need to know where the ball went. The point of release and point where the ball hit the ground.

Uh, wha, huh? Team A gets the ball, 1st and 10 from their -4 (4 yards into the endzone) yard line? Wanna read again and give us the real answer?

Welpe Tue Sep 21, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 693187)
Uh, wha, huh? Team A gets the ball, 1st and 10 from their -4 (4 yards into the endzone) yard line? Wanna read again and give us the real answer?

It's Canadian rules so who knows, maybe that's correct. :eek:

Robert Goodman Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 693190)
It's Canadian rules so who knows, maybe that's correct. :eek:

Only in the game in my head, where they would use that big end zone/goal area to scrimmage from.

I'm intrigued that a dribble by the attacking team that goes out of bounds from behind a goal line is now considered an offside pass, if he got that right.