The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Time Out before the Field Goal

Houston media is hailing the genius of Gary Kubiak, who called Time Out just before a 52 yard FG was made in overtime by Washington. They then proceeded to miss the kick after the time out.

Let's forget that Kubiak didn't exactly invent this maneuver. I find it asinine, and it literally hurts my brain that this worked out. (Nevermind I was rooting against Washington in this game, and glad Houston won). It's simply a complete time-waste in my book. None of the talking heads have brought up the fact that it just as easily (EXACTLY as easily) could have gone the other way around - called TO on a MISS, and then they make it after the TO.

I don't want to change rules to get rid of this nonsense... but I do wish that SOME coach would be bitten in the butt very publicly by doing this ... maybe then everyone would stop.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 04:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
None of the talking heads have brought up the fact that it just as easily (EXACTLY as easily) could have gone the other way around - called TO on a MISS, and then they make it after the TO.
Agree, this tactic is old news. But, I give him credit, it worked......darn it.

And, Kubiak's mentor, Mr Shanahan had a chance to do it back to him a few minutes later, and chose not to......hmm, I wonder if the Texas kicker was thinking, "Is he going to try and ice me?" No matter, the seasoned vet (Texans kicker) beat the rookie UFL kicker (Skins).

And, until they change the rule OR the team makes it 100% of the time, it'll keep being a tactic.

It was a great game to watch too.....darn it.

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Sep 20, 2010 at 04:43pm.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 08:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Mike I think that happened in a game a few years back, can't remember if it was NFL or NCAA but the coach called a timeout just before the kick was taken and it was missed. The rekick was good. Oops.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I don't want to change rules to get rid of this nonsense... but I do wish that SOME coach would be bitten in the butt very publicly by doing this ... maybe then everyone would stop.
Well, in a very real sense, it just did - Shanahan is the one who popularized the tactic. As a Washington fan, I found the result disappointing, but if "icing" is going to be used against anyone, it may as well be Shanahan.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

The announcers always say they shouldn't allow a time out right before the snap. How do you know it is right before the snap. What if B realizes they only have 10 players on the field, you aren't going to allow them to call time out. There really is no easy way to eliminate these time outs by rule. There was a game the previous weekend (don't remember if it was college or pro) and the kicker missed the first attempt but made the second attempt.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

They do it in basketball before a free throw. I don't know in that case whether there's a point beyond which the time out call is not recognized.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Ditto baseball and softball. Coaches and players don't CALL time out... they request it. Umpires call it. And a coach yelling time out while a pitcher was about to pitch might get ejected.

To me, this is not "part of the game".

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
They do it in basketball before a free throw. I don't know in that case whether there's a point beyond which the time out call is not recognized.
On a free throw, while the official is holding the ball it is still a dead ball, and a timeout can be called by either team.

Once the ball is at the disposal of the shooter it is now technically a live ball and a timeout can not be called.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGARef View Post
Once the ball is at the disposal of the shooter it is now technically a live ball and a timeout can not be called.
Cannot be called by the team not in possession that is.
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 03:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
9/26 - Gotcha!

Atl vs NO in OT......

NO calls the late TO right as ATL is snapping the ball and the FG is blocked......but, the TO was called by NO.

Second FG by ATL was good!! HOORAY!
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
This is something you won't see that often at the NBA level where one would rather save a timeout to advance the ball to the 28 foot mark. I can't even say Ive seen this used that often at the college/high school level.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I'm all for closing the door on sideline timeouts once the center has hands on the football. (aka the snap is imminent.)
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I'm all for closing the door on sideline timeouts once the center has hands on the football. (aka the snap is imminent.)
Even when the play clock is reading 0:03 seconds and the offense knows they're not going to get the play off in time?

Even when the defense realizes they only have 10 players on the field?

Even when the has their punt return team on the field and sees that the offense is going to go for it on 4th and 1?
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

In my rules neither team would be allowed to call time out once the snapper had a hand on the ball or it was picked up for a free kick. It kills part of the element of surprise when a team is just allowed to call time out when they see something unexpected.