The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Not a good start

Alright fellas... I'm now a 3rd year V official and need some advice on this one.

Our LJ is a veteran official. Last night JV Game - late in the 4th quarter wit team A up 42-12 - 2nd and 3rd stringers in...

Team A runs a reverse (I agree - not good) for about a 40 yard TD. From the LJ comes this long thrown flag into the offensive backfield. I am the U and see this guy come to the referee who asks him what he has. I already know the answer he is going to give as this is the 2nd time in my time with him that he has done this...

He looks at the clock and says" I've got a hold on 42-6" meaning that he doesn' think the coach should be running reverse up by this margin. I'm instantly pissed!

After the game in the locker room as I get out of the shower... he is asking our rookie - Do ya know why I called this... blah blah blah.

I speak up and tell him in front of the crew chief..."I don't think this is right - I don't think it is our job to officiate that way - Will never do it... etc - even though I agree with him that it is unsportsmanlike...

Thoughts? How would you handle?
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Alright fellas... I'm now a 3rd year V official and need some advice on this one.

Our LJ is a veteran official. Last night JV Game - late in the 4th quarter wit team A up 42-12 - 2nd and 3rd stringers in...

Team A runs a reverse (I agree - not good) for about a 40 yard TD. From the LJ comes this long thrown flag into the offensive backfield. I am the U and see this guy come to the referee who asks him what he has. I already know the answer he is going to give as this is the 2nd time in my time with him that he has done this...

He looks at the clock and says" I've got a hold on 42-6" meaning that he doesn' think the coach should be running reverse up by this margin. I'm instantly pissed!

After the game in the locker room as I get out of the shower... he is asking our rookie - Do ya know why I called this... blah blah blah.

I speak up and tell him in front of the crew chief..."I don't think this is right - I don't think it is our job to officiate that way - Will never do it... etc - even though I agree with him that it is unsportsmanlike...

Is this a crew? Or were you put together for this game? If a crew, handling this is going to be difficult, but I would try to have your crew chief handle it. If not a crew - I would definitely express my concern to the assignor, possibly along with a request never to work with the guy again.

Yes, it's unsportsmanlike, but that's not our decision to make. One says that what goes around comes around ... but who knows - this may have been the "come around". Call the game - don't make stuff up.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Yep - Its a crew!
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

You got to let the Crew Chief handle it.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
You got to let the Crew Chief handle it.
Absolutely.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

When a person makes the decision to become a crew chief this is one of the responsibilities they take on. You should address your concerns with your crew chief and hopefully, he will do his job and address it before it gets out of hand.

I understand where the LJ is coming from but, as previously stated, it is not his responsibility to address the poor sportsmanship demonstrated by A. This is the responsibility of the schools administration.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 10:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

If there is a hold that affects the play, then flag it. If not, then don't.

The score doesn't matter. In fact, he might have taken away the only TD that player scored all year.

That official is not a veteran official. He has 1 year of experience x times.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

A person like that on my crew would find himself looking for another crew.

I've "fired" two people the second and third year of my crew and since then the current guys have been together for five years.

OP, maybe it's time to find a new crew yourself.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I am the crew chief on my crew and I would have no problem with one of my crewmates questioning another about a call of this nature.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I am the crew chief on my crew and I would have no problem with one of my crewmates questioning another about a call of this nature.
Me either. It would be refreshing for someone to step up -- then I wouldn't always be the one to ask these types of questions.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I'm the LJ on my crew, and although we have never had anything this extreme, we have always been very honest and open with one another. I've had my partners call me out on things I was doing wrong, and vise versa. Personally I like it that way, because our goal as an officiating team is to "get it right," both by the letter and the spirit of the rules.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think how this is handled depends on the crew. My crew has very experienced officials and we talk about all kinds of situations openly. And everyone on my crew has a leadership position or is a very accomplished official in their own right. I would have said something if I disagreed with it and no one would have left this to the crew chief because he is the crew chief. Then again that is how we do it.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Team A runs a reverse (I agree - not good)
Now wait a minute! They've got their scrubs in, and you don't think the scrubs should get a chance to go deep into their playbook?

From a coach's perspective, I think the players who usually warm the bench look at it as a new game when they go in. Forget 42-12, that game's over. In their heads they're keeping a new score from the time the benches were cleared. Oh, and they don't care about that holding call, they're counting the TD.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 02:02pm.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thats the way it should be IMHO
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Good point... I will use your point in my discussion with him tonight.