The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Refferences to learn mechanics

I'm a new official. I have an understanding of the rules, but as long as I've been around football I have never payed much attention to what the officials watch, etc. A veteran crew was nice enough to let me accompany them to a scrimmage on Friday night. I shadowed each position and they even let me run the position after watching them for a few plays. I learned a lot from that but also realized that I have a lot more to learn. I know I'll get the most learning from working lower level games and youth football, which I'm going to do. But I want to have a better understanding of mechanics before I even start to do those games. Does anyone have any suggestions for books, videos, etc. that are easier to understand than the officiating manual?
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
There is no substitution for experience. You can read all the books you want, and look at video, but field time is where you're going to learn. That's why new officials work middle school games, as well as youth. If you can, get on a chain crew for varsity games. you'll be on the field, and getting valuable experience. Ask the guys on the crew after the game questions you may have. Most guys are happy to help new guys along. Good luck, and welcome to the fraternity.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Also check USA Football's website for their officiating resources. I'm a member, so I'm not sure what is availble to non-members. It's good stuff, but not at all like being on the field. Pay attention, listen, ask questions (which you obviously are), and it will all come to you. You should have it all down pat in about 30 or 40 years!!!! In other words, learn now, but don't stop learning.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would look at the library of the NASO collection of football books. There is a a mechanics book and other rules resources that you can buy. I would suggest you start there. This place is good for mechanics as we talk about them all the time. But like said it is one thing to read, it is another thing to do those things in person on the field. You have to put the mechanics to use to really understand them.

Peace