The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Question on NCAA Enforcement

Watching an NCAA game and I have a question on enforcement that if done correctly was different then I would have thought.

2nd and 10 for Team A on the B 20 yard line. A12 drops back to pass and throws a completed pass to A88 at the B15 yard line. A88 is hit by B22 and fumbles the ball at the B15 yard line. The ball lies motionless for a second and B28 comes in and clearly bats the ball backwards to the B25 yard line where A77 recovers. There is a flag thrown at the 15 yard line for an illegal bat by B28. In the game (2009 game I think) the penalty was enforced half the distance to the goal from the previous spot making it 1st and 10 at the 10.

From my thoughts I couldn't understand how previous spot would come into play, but I deal more with NHFS then NCAA. I would have thought this would be enforced from the 15 yard line as the end of the related run (I am sure I would enforce from there in NFHS).

Thoughts? Rule references?

Thanks.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

No takers?
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 09:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sorry just saw this. You are correct, that this should have been enforced from the end of the related run.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 09:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0254 View Post
Watching an NCAA game and I have a question on enforcement that if done correctly was different then I would have thought.

2nd and 10 for Team A on the B 20 yard line. A12 drops back to pass and throws a completed pass to A88 at the B15 yard line. A88 is hit by B22 and fumbles the ball at the B15 yard line. The ball lies motionless for a second and B28 comes in and clearly bats the ball backwards to the B25 yard line where A77 recovers. There is a flag thrown at the 15 yard line for an illegal bat by B28. In the game (2009 game I think) the penalty was enforced half the distance to the goal from the previous spot making it 1st and 10 at the 10.

From my thoughts I couldn't understand how previous spot would come into play, but I deal more with NHFS then NCAA. I would have thought this would be enforced from the 15 yard line as the end of the related run (I am sure I would enforce from there in NFHS).

Thoughts? Rule references?

Thanks.
CANADIAN RULING:

Legal play. Team A 3D/15 A B-25.