The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

a shifty shift

Evaluate this shift under Fed rules:

With the ball ready for play by scrimmage, team A's #60, #70, and #80, in that order, are to the right of the snapper in or simulating 3- or 4-point stances facing forward, with their feet well behind the plane of the snapper's waist but their heads clearly ahead of that plane. A80 then (and not in a quick jerky way or particularly siimulating the start of play) comes erect so that his head is clearly behind the plane of the snapper's waist. As soon as that condition obtains, A70 does the same, and then A60 does similarly. A70 and A60 complete their move by walking to and resetting in positions on the line to the left of the snapper, while A80 just goes back down into a stance that puts him onto A's line.

I know that in NCAA rules the restriction on players in the 3- or 4-pt. applies if they're either between the ends of the line or wearing 50-79 (or both), but the last Fed rules I have didn't have that feature.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

After the ready and before the snap, it is a false start if any A player on the line between the snapper and the end moves his hand or makes any quick moves after placing his hand on or near the ground. The end can pick up and move.
Per you play, once and if the "end" clearly becomes a "back", then a new "end" is created and that "end" can now do all the things an "end" is allowed to do.

Last edited by Mike L; Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 10:52am.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 09:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Evaluate this shift under Fed rules:

With the ball ready for play by scrimmage, team A's #60, #70, and #80, in that order, are to the right of the snapper in or simulating 3- or 4-point stances facing forward, with their feet well behind the plane of the snapper's waist but their heads clearly ahead of that plane. A80 then (and not in a quick jerky way or particularly siimulating the start of play) comes erect so that his head is clearly behind the plane of the snapper's waist. As soon as that condition obtains, A70 does the same, and then A60 does similarly. A70 and A60 complete their move by walking to and resetting in positions on the line to the left of the snapper, while A80 just goes back down into a stance that puts him onto A's line.

I know that in NCAA rules the restriction on players in the 3- or 4-pt. applies if they're either between the ends of the line or wearing 50-79 (or both), but the last Fed rules I have didn't have that feature.
CANADIAN RULING:

Legal. Why is probably why the Cdn game is so much easier to officiate.